Best Nutrition for Yellowfin Angelfish

artemk

What do you guys recommend feeding a Yellowtail Angel? I am currently feeding his frozen marine food, but I wanted to mix it up and have a few different types of food for him.
Thanks!

mr. limpid

If you feed them a variety of foods, then you are sure that they get all the nutrition they need, like:
Ocean Nutrition's Angel/Butterfly formula (has sponge in it); Mysis; Squid; plankton(frozen); Formula II or emerald entree; nori sheets green & red and new life spectrum (marine) I throw this in on days when home as an extra feeding. The spectrum real brought out the colors of my butterflies.

aquaknight

Yellowtail, as in Apolemichthys xanthurus? A couple dwarf species of angels are also some times called yellowtails...
If the Apole. sp.,
then Ocean Nutrition Angel formula as mentioned, but would recommend a slightly more meaty diet. Chopped up pieces of scallops, fresh live clams that you shuck (sometimes available at grocery stores fish section as "littleneck clams"). H20 foods also sells frozen clams on the half shell if you can't find live. Mysis, specifically Piscine Energetics (PE Mysis) is the best type of mysis to feed. Definitely recommend New Life Spectrum pellets as well. Depending on the size of the fish, don't be afraid to try the larger 3mm pellets instead of the small 1mm. And of course nori sheets. I use the $2.00 ones from Wal-Mart.
A good daily diets is PE Mysis, some NLS, and a nori sheet. Feed the Angel Formula about 3-4x a week. And the meaty foods switching up what you feed, every other day.

S

siptang

+1 on what he said. Good recommendation.
I buy sea food jumbo mix from grocery sea food department and I chop it up tiny and mix it up with mysis shrimp and let them have it as well as pellets, nori and some other things.

artemk

Thanks guys! He got Ich last week, so I am in the middle of treating him by hyposalinity! He still eats like a pig tho

S

siptang

thats a good thing! I will keep my finger crossed for you buddy.