Best output per watt lights?

hispaniola

If I remember correctly, in the archives I read that the output of lights is what counts when it comes down to determining the lighting set-up that one needs in a tank. I keep reading posts where many people say that "you need X amount of watts per gallon". So which is it? Light output or watts?
To me this is an important issue because I live in the Caribbean where it is warm year-round. I also happen to live in a country that has one of the highest rates ($) of electricity in the western hemisphere. So which lights provide the highest output with the lowest consumption? I am biulding a 75gal. reef tank so I need light and I am just not sure of which one.
I thought Triton lights were good when looking at the output/watt ratio. Can anyone contribute some information?
Thank you.

kdfrosty

Couldnt tell ya, but I can tell you that the only way you'll get a true answer is from someone who has measured various types of light with a PAR meter.
Watts per gallon is a general rule, but not always applicable based on the dimensions of your tank. For example, the depth of your tank.

reefnut

Normal output lighting doesn't cut it in reef tanks... you have to go into HO, VHO, PC or MH lighting. Each are efficient in their own right but the real question is what do you plan to keep. I understand you are also considering heat and electricity but inhabitance needs to be the deciding factor.

kdfrosty

See, your tank is deeper than most others. So the watts per gallon method of calculating lighting strength applies even less to you. Light is weaker at the bottom of the tank you have than the same size tank (in gallons) that's shallower and longer.
Here's a link to oanother thread that's active that discusses your problem with lighting and tall tanks.
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=171452

hispaniola

Ok I read all the info. Thanks.
Could someone recommend some MH light set-up for my 48" x 21" x 18" 65gal. reef tank. I'd like to be able to have anything in it. I agree that the inhabitants are the defining factor when it comes to lighting, but I need a system that has a very efficient light output in relation to watt consumption - electricity is very expensive in the warm and sunny Dominican Rep.
Just some set-up that could point me in the right direction.
Thanks.

mudplayerx

For a four foot long tank you are going to need two metal halide bulbs. You can have anything you want in the tank with 150watt double ended bulbs or probably 250watt single ended bulbs.

hispaniola

So two 150 MH shold be enough for my tank? Considering that it's 21" deep? Of course, I'll put the more sensitive animals closer to the lights.
Would I need actinics as well?
And what is the function of those small lunar lights? I read they help induce spawning and night viewing.
Thank you.

f1shman

The lunar lights are known to reduce stress in fish, because it is not pitch black and they are not as easily startled with the lunar lights. The lunar lights allow you to see your corals "night time" behavior as well as view your tank when the usual tank lights are off. And they might very well induce spawning behavior, not sure about that one.

hispaniola

That's what I don't get about lunar lights. On a moonless night, the ocean is pitch black - 30'. So wouldn't sea animals be used to darkness? Why would they get stressed?

f1shman

I dunno hispanola just what I've heard. But fish in the ocean also have a lot more hiding spots and no people walking along or really loud noises if your stomping by or somthing.