best overall overflow

what do you guys think the overall best overflow is? I want one that doesnt show much in the tank, quiet as possible, works effeciently etc... Any idea's? Im thinking about the CPR one, but any other reccomendations?

jon.316

The garaunteed best overflow right now is the cpr's I'm getting one myself as soon as i get some money. No tubes, no noise, just a button to press. Try goin to your LFS and see if you can find a clear one tho...My LFS charges an extra $20 for it but i think it will look better than with the black background.

S

slofish

im using a cpr now and ive run into some trouble with it, unless you have a PH to help start the siphon if it stops. I havent heard about the push of a button overflows. Lifereef makes a model that doesnt need a powerhead to start siphon again if the power goes out.

ciachef

Just bought a cpr with the aqualifter pump. Working great for me with very little noise. Although a bit pricey I think they are worth it in the long run.

jag3365

Lifereef hands down. The thing is great and never loses siphon, even in a power outage. Remember you get what you pay for.

bigmac

Originally posted by SLOFish
im using a cpr now and ive run into some trouble with it, unless you have a PH to help start the siphon if it stops.

This pretty much sums up the MAJOR problem with the CPR's. I wouldn't use one of these if you gave it too me. Their just a wet floor waiting to happen. How many times have you plugged in a powerhead only to find it doesn't run? That's what's going to eventually happen with a CPR overflow. The powers going to be turned off (of course while your not home) and when it comes on your powerheads going to just sit there. It might take a week, it might take 2 years but its going to happen.
I ran a U tube type overflow for 10+ years and it NEVER failed. I don't mean to bum you CPR guys out, consider it a friendly warning.

S

starfishjackedme

my cpr failed numerous times. The PH can get suck when power goes out, the suction tube from he PH to the

[hr]
on the cpr can get disconnected causing a failed siphon - all it takes is one determined snail or starfish. Also, the plastic siphon

[hr]
on the cpr that goes to the PH came out of it's hole, was sucking air, so i epoxied it on there. I also epoxied the tube to the ph so it couldn't come out as easily. I think undefeatable J-tubes are a more reliable design. I found 50 gallons of saltwater on my floor 2x so i drilled my 200 for bulkheads myself with a portable drill press guide, diamond bit and good luck. No glass shop would touch it. Anyway, no more problems.

koolaid

I have been using lifereef for about a month now. I turn the return pump off daily to feed and restart without any problems.

zanemoseley

lifereef all the way, I like the way a CPR is barely visable in the tank but looks mean nothing when your floor and stand are soaked

rkm

Squidd, I can't believe everyone is still takling about the CPR's and others after your pic. By far the best.
Just use a normal overflow and add your own Duroso... No girgles, no noise nothing. The best one in my opinion. I like the air valve on top. I might do that to mine. At the moment I have a hole through the cap and pipe behind it. When I twist the cap it makes the hole smaller or bigger. I noticed with the flow rate I have going through mine that my hole is like a pin hole, to get it to work correctly.
For anyone else. I had an aquaclear overflow. It worked great. I never tried a power head to start the syphen. That sounds a little more involved than what I did. If you are wondering. I just used a small air line hose. I got about 3 feet. Pushed it up the U tube to the top of the U while both ends were in the water and sucked the air out. It worked very easily. If you do this make sure your hose is long or you might get some water:D I could be wrong but a power head sounds like it might make a mess.
If you are looking for quiet extremely quiet and function take another look at Squidds post.
Good luck.