Best place and price to buy a 125g?

azfishgal

My lfs has a 125 gal/reef ready tank for $500 and a sump for $300. Is this reasonable? Should I buy on-line ******? I'm thinking the shipping cost would kill me, but again I don't know, so I'm asking the pros. Where did you go to buy your tanks?
Please dont ask for links to other sites you can ask for brands and then google those brands Thank YOU.

michaeltx

a 125 for 500 isnt that bad what brand is the tank and does it come with a stand and/or canopy? or is that just the tank?
Mike

azreefgirl

I've been drooling over a few tanks on Craigslist for the past month or so. You could also try ----. Just search aquariums within a 100 mile radius of your zipcode. You may just find one that works for you that is labeled "pickup only" due to the shipping expense/trouble.
I don't know if you saw the post I made on one of your earlier threads, but I mentioned a couple of lfs: one that I like a lot, and one that has made the top of my least favorite list. You may want to try About the Reef. I haven't really priced any aquariums except the Biocube there, but they may be able to get a decent price on an aquarium, or at least be able to tell you if that's a good price for this area.

azreefgirl

Originally Posted by AZReefGirl
I've been drooling over a few tanks on Craigslist for the past month or so. You could also try ----. Just search aquariums within a 100 mile radius of your zipcode. You may just find one that works for you that is labeled "pickup only" due to the shipping expense/trouble.
I don't know if you saw the post I made on one of your earlier threads, but I mentioned a couple of lfs: one that I like a lot, and one that has made the top of my least favorite list. You may want to try About the Reef. I haven't really priced any aquariums except the Biocube there, but they may be able to get a decent price on an aquarium, or at least be able to tell you if that's a good price for this area.
Ok, it looks like they edited one of my suggestions. I suggested using that very popular online auction site. The one who's commercials say "Whatever 'it' is, you can get it on e***"

azfishgal

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
a 125 for 500 isnt that bad what brand is the tank and does it come with a stand and/or canopy? or is that just the tank?
Mike
That's just the tank, my husband is going to build the stand and canopy.

mynameis

I would definitely shop around for the tank. I know I got a really good deal on my AGA RR 125gal tank at $299.00 sooo (I spent 3 hours at lfs haggling out prices and quoting website prices
) Good luck on your search and hopefully you get a good deal too.

stanlalee

You should almost always buy a tank that size locally unless you have a truck and dont mind driving long distances. Let the pet store and manufacturer worry about the shipping to your area. I just dont get it around here if you go to 10 different pet stores you will get the same price for every AGA tank in existance save perhaps the occasional small sale. None drilled 125g are $300 everywhere here and reef ready is about $100 more for the shops that actually bother to sell reef ready tanks. Save money buying the other easily shipped equipment online. Acrylic sumps are light weight but have to be carefully shipped. Mine was delivered with a crack but easily repaied with acrylic cement.

azfishgal

Thanks Stanlalee, your view point is appreciated. So I will just do some calling around and see who has the better price. I do agree, that shipping on something that big would just drive the price back up, so what's the point.
And I would be worried about the sump being damaged in shipment. My husband is looking to see if he can build one cheaper. Haven't checked the pricing of Acrylic yet or where to get it, so not sure.