Best placement for return?

L

lilredwuck

Here is the a picture of the tank setup

Unsure where to put the 1/2" return. I have a 1/2" return kit from glass-holes. I was planning on just coming in on the left side as high as possible, splitting the return and aiming them bow down because the tank is 24" tall. (30 gallon X-high), but unsure about it the more I think. What do you guys think. It'll have an Eheim pushing 317 GPH @ 0' head. Lost on what location would be best to drill.
BTW....I did think about just going over the top, BUT I think I might lose too much pressure. Maybe just a little, but there isn't much left to lose.

natclanwy

I think I would go over the top with your returns, the difference between drilling and running over the top is only going to be about 1-1.5" of head pressure which is next to nothing. If you drill your tank it won't make any difference where you put the return the head pressure will be the same whether it is low in your tank or high.

L

lilredwuck

Ok, pump shutoff is 6' 7" in a perfect brand new condition world. I have 5' from sump to top of tank. Must have missed this pump information. It's a 1250.

natclanwy

Your flowrate is going to be pretty low with 5' of head, according to your flow chart it will be about 138gph. As long as you are good with that flowrate it won't matter whether you drill the tank or plumb the returns over the top the flow rate will be the same within 1-2gph.