Best Public Aquariums

sillynecco

I know this might not be the right area for a post, but i figured a lot of people would see it. What is your opinion of the best public aquariums around the United States? I have only been to the one in Chicago, and I want to see what else is out there.... i might even plan a mini vacation to see some of these aquariums.
let me know your top picks!

qreef

Originally Posted by sillynecco
I know this might not be the right area for a post, but i figured a lot of people would see it. What is your opinion of the best public aquariums around the United States? I have only been to the one in Chicago, and I want to see what else is out there.... i might even plan a mini vacation to see some of these aquariums.
let me know your top picks!
Soon to be open 11-23-05 and it will be the world largest aquarium :happyfish
http://www.georgiaaquarium.org/
Baltimore aquarium

Miami aquarium $$ and not so great:notsure:

bigb

My vote is for the Baltimore Aquarium. Last time I was there it was like 22.00 to get in but worth it.

popnfrresh

Camden aquarium has a nice 760,000 gallon main tank. They are built around that one huge tank last time i went. But they also just changed the whole place around 2 weeks after my last visit. So i heard its better than before.
http://www.adventureaquarium.com
Camden Nj

ophiura

My favs:
1) Monterey Bay
2) New England Aquarium
3) Shedd Aquarium
4) Baltimore Aquarium

lradlbeck

I've been to Mystic Aquarium (CT) it is nice
Baltimore is my favorite
Long Beach CA was neat as well - think that it is called the Aquarium of the Pacific.

susiestank

I live in Maryland so i go to the baltimore lots! Im glad to see that other people enjoy it as well. I have only been to one other aquarium and thats charleston, sc.
I love the baltimore one , especially going out to eat downtown after walking around for a few hours :)

farmboy

Newport Aquarium is in KY just accross the river from Cincinnatti, OH. It is a good place if you are in the neighborhood. 385 thousand gallon "Dive SHow" tank. Cool!

littlebuck

Well i like the one in baltimore but i also love the the one in CO and also the one in boston. They are rebuilding the one here in NC cant wait to see what it looks like.

J

jdragunas

i've wanted to go to the one in chicago for sooo long! I also heard philly has a good one. Is there one in NYC? I've wanted to go to the baltimore one too... I heard new orleans had a great one...

littlebuck

If anyone wants to take a trip and loves to scuba dive there a great one down under. I went there 2 years ago and seeing the great barrier reef it was amazing like nothing i haev ever seen before.

popnfrresh

Originally Posted by jdragunas
i've wanted to go to the one in chicago for sooo long! I also heard philly has a good one. Is there one in NYC? I've wanted to go to the baltimore one too... I heard new orleans had a great one...

There is one in brooklyn ny. It is quite small. The camden aquarium in CAMDEN NJ not philly. Unless philly has another one but camden's is right on the waterfront.

J

jdragunas

well, they said it was about a two hour drive away from philly, so that's probably it.

laust

the dallas world aquarium is pretty cool
but the best one i've seen is at the ocean center in maui

keleighr

Monterey and in San Francisco!!
Gotta love California!!
Not only is the Aquarium nice in MOnterey but we did the whale watching tour as well. LOVED it. It is amazing to see. We were really lucky and got to see a Killer Whale.
I am going to try and do it again sometime real soon.
Seaside is a nice city to stay in when you are out there.
It is about 3 miles away from Monterey. Friendly town.

sluggo

Ripleys Aquarium of the Smokies in Gatlinburg Tennessee. 750,000 gallons with people mover. Awesome Sea Dragon display. Reasonably priced.
Don