Best Public Aquariums

jaeger

I've been to anumber of the public aquaria (Monterey, Scripps, Camden, New England, Baltimore, Charleston, Ripley's Myrtle Beach. Seaworld) in the US and Bermuda over the years with my kids, and I'd be happy to give you a thumbnail of those if you'd care to read a bit more.

J

jdragunas

oooohhhh, i just found out my annual conference is in baltimore!!! Baltimore aquarium here i come!!!!!!!!!

bigb

Originally Posted by SusiesTank
I love the baltimore one , especially going out to eat downtown after walking around for a few hours :)
-I lived in Balt, Towson, Mt. Wash, area from 90 to 2000
That was the worst part about the Inner Harbor. All the Baltimorons and touristos walking aimlessly like they were amazed at the overpriced stores and bad food at the restaruants. Wish I could have been at Phillips Seafood ~8 yrs ago when the buffet server stabbed and killed the other one in front of everyone during Sunday brunch.
jdragunas when you go to Balt. venture away from the inner harbor for some good eats. If you want, when time comes start a new thread for some suggestions.

J

jdragunas

thanks for the heads up... I think the conference lasts from like 8-5, so hopefully the aquarium will still be open that late... I'll be draggin my boss with me, whether he likes it or not!!!

keleighr

Originally Posted by Harlequinnut
Does anyone know if the Monterey aquarium still has the great white display?
No. They released it!
Which in a more humane way is good but the greedy person in me wanted it to stay so we coukd go see it.
She was killing the other sharks in the tank so they had to out her back in the ocean.

bigb

Originally Posted by jdragunas
thanks for the heads up... I think the conference lasts from like 8-5, so hopefully the aquarium will still be open that late... I'll be draggin my boss with me, whether he likes it or not!!!
Only open til 5 (fridays later) but they don't kick you out at 5, website says you can tour it for 1.5 hours after close. Check it out.
http://www.aqua.org/home.html

1bigboy69

I've been to Camden and Inner Harbor.
I like the Harbor the best so far. The people at Camden were the rudist mother's around.

kdfrosty

Noone mentioned Birch Aquarium at Scripps? (San Diego, CA)
Aquarium of the Pacific (Long Beach, CA)
Monterey Bay Aquarium
National Aquarium(Baltimore, MD)
Ripley's Aquarium (Myrtle Beach, SC)
I could go on, but those are the few that stand out (in no particular order)...

S

sinner's girl

I've only been to Aquariums of America, New Orleans. It was great imo. (Of course, I'm bias, 1. I lived there, 2. it's the only one I've to, and 3. I got engaged there.)

drew2005

Theres 2 in NY. Atlantis Marineworld in Riverhead, NY and NY Aquarium in Brooklyn, NY. The one in Brooklyn has been there forever. Atlantis Marineworld is nice if you dont mind the hour and 15 minute drive from the city with NO traffic.

popnfrresh

Originally Posted by 1BigBoy69
I've been to Camden and Inner Harbor.
I like the Harbor the best so far. The people at Camden were the rudist mother's around.

I havnt had a problem in camden for people being rude. But if they were you have to remember that camden has the worst crime in the nation.

bronco300

Originally Posted by sluggo
Ripleys Aquarium of the Smokies in Gatlinburg Tennessee. 750,000 gallons with people mover. Awesome Sea Dragon display. Reasonably priced.
Don

Definitely Agreed,. kind of pricey i thought, but well worth it i thought!!!!

lradlbeck

just an FYI - someone said that the Camden Aquarium was 2 hours from Philly? Actually you can see the aquarium from Philly it is just across the river - about 2 hours from Philly they would probably mean Baltimore.
I haven't been able to make it to Camden yet - not the best neighborhood - I try to avoid it.
My favorite time to go to Baltimore Aquarium is early in the morning as soon as they open (and before the hoards of class trips get there)

sillynecco

thanks to everyone who posted here... are their any good aquariums near bowling green, ky, las vegas, nv or marathon, fl?

J

jdragunas

ooohhh, i also just found out that i get to go to chicago with my hubby next year (for wizard world... he's such a nerd!!!) and that's for 3 days, and i get to go to the aquarium all 3 days!!! I'm so psyched...
Now is there enough for me to do at the aquarium for three entire days?

J

jdragunas

oh yea, and cleveland doesn't have an aquarium, but the have a saltwater exhibit at the zoo... i was soooo incredibly dissapointed it in. They had a seahorse display, but the seahorse tank was completely covered it aptasia (sp???)... the poor seahorses... they were potbellies too, very beautiful. All of the tanks were waaayyy overstocked, and it was just all around a bad experience...