Best Salt for a reef?

fgcu14

I have been using Instant ocean salt in my reef. Just wondering what everyone else uses. What is the best salt for a Reef Tank?

lion_crazz

There really is no "best" salt. Everyone likes something different. You need to find what works best for you. Best is very relative when it comes to salt. Many people will say that Instant Ocean and Reef Crystals is the best, while others say that Oceanic or Tropic Marin are the best.
It is all a matter of testing your water parameters that your salt gives you and adjust accordingly. If the salt becomes too much of a hassle, switch to a different one.
I have been using Oceanic for the past 3 years and I love it. It gives me excellent calcium and magnesium, dissolves quickly, has good trace elements, but a very low alkalinity.

dawman

Over the years I have used Instant Ocean , Coralife , and Oceanic . I like I.O. and Coralife better . The Oceanic doesn`t seem to dissolve as good as the other two .

ejensen

I was told to not use Synthetic salt mixes. I use Red Sea Coral Pro. I really don't think it matters what kind of salt you use as long as it isn't the cheap salt. Everybody doeses there tank to replenish what is used up.

ninjamini

Real ocean water will always be comprised of exactly what you will find in the ocean.
There are never any variances in composition.
It contains all of the trace elements.
Its the only way to go. Why would you want synthetic?

fgcu14

Originally Posted by ninjamini
Real ocean water will always be comprised of exactly what you will find in the ocean.
There are never any variances in composition.
It contains all of the trace elements.
Its the only way to go. Why would you want synthetic?
Are you saying actual ocean water...or is that a brand name?

m0nk

I was using Instant Ocean but it doesn't dissolve as well as others so I switched to Oceanic and it's working out great. It's got the Calcium I need for the reef so I haven't had to dose since switching (of course now I have this bottle of liquid calcium that's not doing anything). I've also heard IO contains phosphates even though the packaging says it doesn't, but I can't prove that. :thinking:

ninjamini

Originally Posted by fgcu14
Are you saying actual ocean water...or is that a brand name?
Thats a good name for a salt. But I am talking about water that is taken from the ocean. There are people that go out and get it. The LFS sells it.

fgcu14

That sounds great...however I dont think the water in the Gulf is what my reef tank needs right now.

reefrobert

I started with instant ocean sea salt for my cycling and then switched to reef crystals, I have had no problems with it and I do 10% water changes weekly.

steve24

Originally Posted by ReefRobert
I started with instant ocean sea salt for my cycling and then switched to reef crystals, I have had no problems with it and I do 10% water changes weekly.

same here ...

zman1

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
There really is no "best" salt. Everyone likes something different. You need to find what works best for you. Best is very relative when it comes to salt. Many people will say that Instant Ocean and Reef Crystals is the best, while others say that Oceanic or Tropic Marin are the best.
It is all a matter of testing your water parameters that your salt gives you and adjust accordingly. If the salt becomes too much of a hassle, switch to a different one.
Ditto

fgcu14

Ok, so what I have gathered so far is that salt really does not matter. It's all about prefrance. My goal is to have a thriving reef aquarium. Besides the basics (trates, trites, PH, amonia) what should I be testing for?

zman1

Add at least these additional test kits for a Reef: Alk, Ca, Mg, and PO4.
I find myself testing NO3, Alk and Ca most frequent. Mg and PO4 periodically.
pH is monitored 24/7 with a probe/meter.
Shame on me, I don't look for Ammonia or NO2 that much any more. They aren't new setups.

fgcu14

Originally Posted by zman1
Add at least these addtional test kits for a Reef: Alk, Ca, Mg, and PO4.
so thats alkalinity, calcium, ...I dont know what the other two are.

aztec reef

Originally Posted by fgcu14
so thats alkalinity, calcium, ...I dont know what the other two are.
magnesium & phosphates

aztec reef

i've used io since day one almost ten years without any problems, you just have to have strong enuff powerhead to dissolve really good. i use two powerheads in a 5g bucket.i just started using reef crystals and it does dissolved better. so i might try it for a while

fgcu14

I just ordered m new test kits. Should get them somethinme next week. I hope everything checks out. Anyway thanks for all the opinions on salt mixes. I know what eveyone is talking about with IO not disolving well. I might gve reef crystals a try :thinking: