Best Salt Mix

bigal0221

I have been using pre-mixed saltwater from my LFS who uses Instant Ocean. I will have my new RO/DI installed on Saturday and will be mixing my own and I was wondering what type of mix everyone uses and your opinions on the best mix.
Thanks!

I'm in the minority but I really like oceanic....very easy to mix and have never had to buffer ph....a 50g mix is 20.99 around here

U

usirchchris

I have always used IO, but have always had fowlr tanks...not reef.

bigal0221

I am also setting up for FOWLR. I would like to stick with the same brand but just wanted to see if anyone else used it and how it worked for them. I am guessing that you have not had any problems. Thanks for the info!

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by bigal0221
http:///forum/post/2944262
I am also setting up for FOWLR. I would like to stick with the same brand but just wanted to see if anyone else used it and how it worked for them. I am guessing that you have not had any problems. Thanks for the info!
Been using it for years. Never had any problems...the only other brand I have ever even tried is Red Sea, and it is not bad either, but I am not one for change...ever..unless my LFS is out. Actually more and more I buy my salt online now though.

snakeblitz33

Over the years I have used:
Instant Ocean
Oceanic
Red Sea Max
Seachem Marine
Seachem Reef
Tropic Marin
As far as the absolute best quality salt I have ever used, is Tropic Marin. Now, is it necessary? Maybe not. The second best IMHO is Seachem Reef salt.
Just remember, if you start with a natural salt mix, stay with natural salt mixes. Do not try to switch to a synthetic salt mix or back and fourth. It will kill your creatures.

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by Cleve_seahorse
http:///forum/post/2944278
I hope so...My ph always sits pretty at 8.2-8.4 depending upon the time I test.And for a big jug , it's fairly inexpensive

Calcium always remains high as well. With weekly 10% water changes I never have to dose.

monalisa

I started out in the hobby using Instant Ocean, but when I decided to go reef, I switched to Oceanic and never looked back. My calcium has been great and my corals and all the other tank mates love it...as do I. This is probably coincidental, but when I've had to use Instant Ocean in a pinch since switching, ummmm, I ended up with an algae bloom of one kind or another...again, could be coincidental. Oceanic is very easy to mix as well. Hope this helps.
Lisa

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
http:///forum/post/2944305
This is probably coincidental, but when I've had to use Instant Ocean in a pinch since switching, ummmm, I ended up with an algae bloom of one kind or another...again, could be coincidental. Oceanic is very easy to mix as well. Hope this helps.
Lisa
Definitely coincidental IME...I have three tanks running and all use IO, the only tank that has algae problems is my aggressive with
up there nitrates.

coral head

"Just remember, if you start with a natural salt mix, stay with natural salt mixes. Do not try to switch to a synthetic salt mix or back and fourth. It will kill your creatures."
Snake, that sounds like good advice. Which brands are natural and which are synthetic?

bizzmoneyb

you'll get plenty of different answers here.
for a reef tank, ive read one of the best is tropic marine pro reef. this is what i went with but havent set everything up yet so no opinion on it yet.
but for just fish i think you'd be fine with IO.

turningtim

Doesn't good salt just equal consistency? I have use used several TM, TMpro, oceanic,IO,RedSea pro. The most consistant that I have come across is TM. The TM pro has or had ALK dip problems. Don't know if that has been fixed but.

fishyfun2

Snake,
Why is it bad to switch from synthetic to natural? I use IO and was thinking of switching to Oceanic which says it is natural.

chankanaab

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/2944280
Over the years I have used:
Instant Ocean
Oceanic
Red Sea Max
Seachem Marine
Seachem Reef
Tropic Marin
As far as the absolute best quality salt I have ever used, is Tropic Marin. Now, is it necessary? Maybe not. The second best IMHO is Seachem Reef salt.
Just remember, if you start with a natural salt mix, stay with natural salt mixes. Do not try to switch to a synthetic salt mix or back and fourth. It will kill your creatures.
Would it be ok to go from Catalina water from my LFS to Tropic Marin mix ?

jswan10

I use Tropic Marin, I have never had any problems with it other than my pH seems to be maintained at 7.8-8.0, i would like it at 8.2.
ive also used Oceanic, had no problems with that one either, i will probably never use anything else.