best sand out there

locoyo386

Hi all,
I want to upgrade to a bigger tank, currently I have a 10g and 20g. I used these two tanks to gain experience. I want to upgrade now to a 55g or a 100g. My question is since I am going to add nicer fish like tanks, I was wondering what is the best sand to use? I would appreciate all the info.
Thanks
locoyo

drtito

I would go with the 100 so you can have tangs and good space to grow with. As for you sand,if i could start all over again i would use the sand sold here on SWF.com. It has all the good stuff you want already in it. If iever have to remove my sand I will replace it with theres.

locoyo386

Well thank you all that posted replies. I think I will go for the CaribSea, it cost around $1.40 per pound.

1990jpyj

Originally Posted by globaldesigns
http:///forum/post/2844379
I do believe Aragonite is the BEST!!!
i think for a 15# bag its like $19.00 so its a lil bit cheaper with this sand. i love the way this stuff looks.
its like $1.34 per pound and thats not buying in bulk or anything. alot of places will give you a discount if you buy like 5 or more

stanlalee

buy 10lbs of REAL live sand (such as florida keys live sand sold here) to seed that sand after the tank cycles. If you want the "best" sand it must be real live sand.

b0b82

Aragonite is the best.I use local sand I live in south Folrida so I just go get it.If you do use the sand from SWF you should add some live sand to the mix.Yes I know that there live sand is live BUT you need something els to add life to the sand.The bagged sand has lots of bactera in it but NO buggs(pods) YOU NEED THE BUGGS.I can send you some live sand from my tank with pod's in it, that will get you started right.I don't know if SWF sells pods if they do then you should get some.If not send me a PM and I can help you out.

cam78

I have arogonite, the only thing I don't really like about it is the dirt/algae that gets in between the air pockets. It sometimes looks a little dirty and does not clean up that well. As for "bugs" just grab some Chaeto from your LFS and you will have them multiply in no time. Otherwise I can say I had no other problems with the aragonite.

V

vince-1961

Since you are starting over from scratch, you also have to consider color. White, pink, black, tan ... take your pick, if you got the $ to spend on the fancy stuff.

U

usirchchris

I just got some black tahitian sand from Caribsea (that is the maker err bagger, not where or who I bought it from), it's going to go into my new 75. wanted something different this time. The only thing I can really suggest though...is dependent on the fish. If you have fish like triggers that really like to move sand all the time, make sure you get something coarse. I have some fine reef sand in my aggressive tank, because it was inexpensive and I did not need much. BIG mistake...that stuff gets all over, covering my live rock. I hate it.

snakeblitz33

Originally Posted by globaldesigns
http:///forum/post/2844379
I do believe Aragonite is the BEST!!!
Agreed. You don't necessarily have to have live sand. Sand will become cultured with time. Don't rush anything!
If there is anything that I have learned in this hobby, it's to be patient.

locoyo386

Originally Posted by usirchchris
http:///forum/post/2848791
I just got some black tahitian sand from Caribsea (that is the maker err bagger, not where or who I bought it from), it's going to go into my new 75. wanted something different this time. The only thing I can really suggest though...is dependent on the fish. If you have fish like triggers that really like to move sand all the time, make sure you get something coarse. I have some fine reef sand in my aggressive tank, because it was inexpensive and I did not need much. BIG mistake...that stuff gets all over, covering my live rock. I hate it.
Thanks, I will coonsider this as I might set up a tank with triggers. I do know that they love to move things around and a finer sand gets the tank cloudy with all that flaping they do. Thanks for the info.