best shrimp

gollus

I want to get a few shrimps, maybe 2 or 3 to start with. I was wondering if anyone could make a suggestion of which one they prefer. Im looking for a shrimp that will mostly take care of itself, maybe one that I dont have to feed if possible, or one that will just eat the leftover fish food. I was looking at the cleaner shrimp and they looked like a good choice, but some peppermint shrimp sound good too. Basically I dont know enough about all the shrimp to know which would be the best, so if anyone could give me some suggestions, or a website with more info on shrimps that would be much appreciated. Oh and the tank is a 190 gal with LOTS of live rock, almost filled with it, It has a newly installed sump/refugium with a running protein skimmer. The tank is a about 3 months old and It has hermit crabs, snails, variouse strange animals, and 3 damsels(put in only for cycling, plan to take these out before putting in anything else).

Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp in my belief, are the easiest to care for and seem to brighten up tanks even ones that are already colorful. They are also active, I can watch mine for hours at a time.

jumpfrog

1st, welcome to the board!
What are your plans with this tank? It's large enough to give you plenty of options. Although, if you plan on shrimp, you're going to limit some possibilities. With the exception of the coral banded shrimps CBS, you can't really go wrong with any of them.

gollus

wow you guys are fast!
Anyway I mostly had planned on a mainly fish tank, but with some soft corals, and MAYBE down the road some hard corals. It is just going to be a community tank. I wanted some Royal Grammas, some Fire fish, maybe a lawn mower blenny, and some neon gobies, and finally at the end i was thinking of adding a dwarf angel.

jumpfrog

Sounds like a great plan. Go slow and steady and I'm sure you'll have a great tank. If it was me at this stage, I'd add a small group 4-6 peppermints. They'll help keep things clean and attack any stray aptasia that make their way in. You can always add a pair of cleaners down the road after some fish some on board. I'd look to have the cleaners in place before "any" tangs if you plan to add them. A 160 would allow you to add most any tang you want. The naso being my favorite.
Good luck in your build!

gollus

i heard that the peppermint shrimp may start eating soft corals if there isnt enough for it to eat. I guess i didnt say how many hermits i have, I have many, more than i can count, and they are keeping the rocks and things pretty clean. Oh and do the peppermint shrimp eat algaes and things, or is it apistas and fish food only?

R

royalshrimp

how about a sexy shrimp? mine is awsome and is always walking around although in a 190, dont count on seeing him. just a thought . Or how about a blood red fire shrimp.

jen p

I agree with getting cleaner shrimp. I love watching mine climb onto my fish to get their daily checkups and cleaning.:)

reb

The scarlet cleaner is awesome and spends quite a bit of time in the open parading around. I just added a blood red fire shrimp about two months ago, but only see him about an hour every two weeks. I also have two peppermint shrimp, they spend all day out in the open, but I've had those for over a year.

freeride7

bloodfire shrimp I think is the coolest looking, however hides alot. I would throw a pellet of hermit food in the tank and that guy would search it out and feast......cleaner shrimp very nice also, always out in the open put your hand in the tank and they climb & pick all over it.....

D

daniel411

My personal favorite....
Those coconut battered jumbo shrimp at restaurants... mmm. mmm.. good.
For the aquarium though. I like the scarlet cleaners followed by blood shrimp. I want to pick up a couple sexy shrimp in the future though.