Best Skimmer for a 140gallon tank?

overanalyzer

Originally posted by eric4usa
I'll take some more pictures soon so you can get a better idea.
It's easier than you think.

Thanks Eric!!

overanalyzer

Originally posted by javatech
Yea i only go down there on the weekdays i'll be going down there in two weeks to trade in some zoo's and some other frags

How are they about trading in frags and such?

susies

Eric,
We'd be really interested in more pictures (and further instructions too!) We're setting up a 300 gal. and definately need to update our skimmer, yours looks very intriguing!
Thanks,
Susie

beaslbob

Originally posted by KrUnK
so bob, if you want too have a good tank, do not have a dsb, lr, or skimmer?

You can have a great tank with or without dsb,lr, or skimmer.

beaslbob

Originally posted by overanalyzer
So what do you use for filtration?? Just curious - mostly because I think so far your advice amounts to:
You don't need a DSB
You don't need LR
You don't need a skimmer
You should cycle your tank with mollies
how do you run your tank and what do you use for filtration and such?

You balance out the tank with macro/marine plants. And you do need some circulation. Bacteria grows on rocks and sand whether or not they come from the sea. Skimmer does not remove anything that isn't taken card of by the biological action of the tank.

broncofish

Originally posted by beaslbob
Skimmer does not remove anything that isn't taken card of by the biological action of the tank.

I have stayed out of this issue, because....well I end up arguing and.....well anayway. Let me first say that my current Reef tank is skimmerless, but I also have run with a skimmer, and intend on running a skimmer on my 90g after it has been better established...but with that said, I know this is a board and people have there opinions, but some things are fact, hard scientific fact. Unless your tank is one big giant ball of macro with no fish, and a heck of a lot of snails, not running a skimmer will result in algae, cyano, or poor water quality/clarity. I go through a tone of work to run skimmer less. I let xenia run wild, I have macro, I run GAC 4-6 hours a day 3 times a week, I do 5% water changes every other week, and more if required, I have 60 lbs of LR, a DSB, I have roughly 50 snails, 25 crabs, and I am contanly adding detrivore kits, and stealing bristle worms, and pods from my freinds tanks. So if you go through all that than yes by all means you do not need a skimmer.

overanalyzer

Originally posted by beaslbob
You balance out the tank with macro/marine plants. And you do need some circulation. Bacteria grows on rocks and sand whether or not they come from the sea. Skimmer does not remove anything that isn't taken card of by the biological action of the tank.

so with no DSB, No Rock (living or base) and just some circulation I am supposed to do what - let macro float around in my tank??
Not that I am questioning your credibility (because I am) - but I posted a series of questions earlier that I want to see your answers and supporting arguements on:
So what do you use for filtration?? Just curious - mostly because I think so far your advice amounts to:
You don't need a DSB
You don't need LR
You don't need a skimmer
You should cycle your tank with mollies
how do you run your tank and what do you use for filtration and such?

eric4usa

K, I updated my posting on my DIY skimmer.
For more info, check out the Equipment & DIY forum and look for the post "DIY skimmer design"
Equipment & DIY > DIY skimmer design

nm reef

I think this thread has run its course...and I hope you get your skimmer situation taken care of. But I'm going to close this before
beaslbob places his foot so far inside his mouth that medical experts would never be able to remove it!
We all have differences in how we maintain/establish our reefs. His is just way(way...way...way) out there!!!
So...thread closed.:cool: