Best Small Wrasse?

amajda0519

I'm looking for a few small wrasses for my 75 gallon reef tank and would like everyone's opinion on which are the best.
Thanks!
Alli

fishygurl

yellow wrasse, flame wrasse, any fairy wrasse..
i noticed you said a few.. make sure they are from different genuses (sp) like the yellow (corris) wrasse and a fairy wrasse should do ok together i think.
just be careful, if you get a sixline wrasse i wouldnt get another wrasse in your tank..

jake0110

I just got a sixline. Doesn't take up much room, doesn't cost much and it's a beauty.
Oh, and they tell me it will eat my bristleworms.

amajda0519

I know the Six Line is not usually one to get along with other wrasses but are there some wrasses that will get along??? I would like to get "a few" (probably 2) if possible but it doesn't have to be.
Thanks!
Alli

fishygurl

Originally Posted by amajda0519
http:///forum/post/2697867
I know the Six Line is not usually one to get along with other wrasses but are there some wrasses that will get along??? I would like to get "a few" (probably 2) if possible but it doesn't have to be.
Thanks!
Alli
a yellow wrasse and a fairy wrasse should be ok..
Some fairy wrasses would be a carpenters, clown, flame (this one is expensive..) and some others i cant think of on the top of my head..

aquaknight

Yellow coris wrasse (though not actually from the Coris genus, from the Halichoeres genus instead) is my pick as well.

oceanlover

I have really enjoyed my Mystery Wrasse. He travels all over the tank, he's curious, isn't aggressive (but takes no bull from other fish), eats anything I feed, and is very pretty. The colors change over time too (mine's white lines come and go, and the blues and greens and yellows are really intense some days). Very importantly, he doesn't nip my corals.
I have a new wrasse coming tomorrow called a Filamented Flasher Wrasse. Boy he is pretty!

yearofthenick

I haven't had problems with sixlines, except for when he had established his territory and I added a pseudo... they fought like the dickens.
But I've always added my sixline's last and I haven't had a problem with them beating up on others.

tvwong

Look at the Lubbocks Wrasse AKA tricolor. The hardiest small wrasse I have ever see! great color and an amazing personality. a definite A++++ fish for me

cedarreef

I've actually seen a sixline get along pretty well with other wrasses. A person I know has a sixline and yellow corris wrasse living together in perfect harmony. I think it really all depends on the individual personality of the wrasse itself. Despite this, I would add the wrasses at the same time, or the sixline last just to be careful.

detguy313

i would go with a smaller fairy or one of the flasher wrasses..sixlines are cool but won't mix well with other wrasses..also possum wrasses are really cool and get along with others

yearofthenick

Originally Posted by CedarReef
http:///forum/post/2698413
I've actually seen a sixline get along pretty well with other wrasses. A person I know has a sixline and yellow corris wrasse living together in perfect harmony. I think it really all depends on the individual personality of the wrasse itself. Despite this, I would add the wrasses at the same time, or the sixline last just to be careful.
I just added a corris wrasse to my tank today... and I've already got a sixline... we'll see what happens...

amajda0519

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll have to do a little research and look into the different wrasses you all mentioned! Thanks again!

oceanlover

Originally Posted by YearOfTheNick
http:///forum/post/2697991
Aren't mystery wrasses like $150 each?

I know the fish store you go to! I live in Pleasanton. I bought my mystery wrasse at the Dublin local fish store and he was listed for $99. I asked for a discount and got 15% off. While that isn't cheap, its not outrageous either.

gmann1139

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2697873
Yellow coris wrasse (though not actually from the Coris genus, from the Halichoeres
genus instead) is my pick as well.
Don't these get like 24" long? My wife likes the look of them, but I thought they were the 'spotted sweetlips' of wrasses.