"Best" Starfish?

reefer44

I advise you not to go with linkias...from what i can tell in my linkias (had them in my tank at other house) they don't eat algae they eat other stuff i guess.....the reason i say this is cause i have put one in a algae ridden tank with good water and it died....but then i put one in my tank after it was going for about a year and it had enough diversity of stuff to eat....I advise getting one in about 6 months...please wait your wasting your money
Good luck with whatever choice..
Brad

reefer44

again wait on the mandrin...please
patience is a essential in this hobby...i know it sucks waiting though!

h2oengr

Thanks Brad. My 4-year-old is teaching me the most about patience. It's so hard, but I'll be able to hold off! Thanks!

edwar050

Be careful with the mandarin, they are extremely picky eaters, I just gave mine away to a friend becasue he was not taking to frozen brine, Some only eat copopods while other may eat frozen brine, and yet I have heard of some that even eat flake, but those are very, very, few. I would stay away from a mandarin unless you have a 50 or a tank with a fuge and lots of pods.

rwhite

Going to have to agree with reefer and edwar on this. Linkias and Mandarins are very difficult to keep. Definitely beautiful, but can be short lived. Best advice I can give: go with a brittle/serpent. Great addition to a reef, but seem to hate the daylight. We have a red/brown brittle and dont see him til lights out or a leg or 2 sticking out. His name is Waldo, as in "Wheres Waldo?" I usually spend quite a few minutes trying to find him, sometimes unsuccessfully. On the other hand, you'd be surprised to see what you may find while you're looking. The little things that you may miss just doing a qwik inspect. Anyway, thats my 2 cents. It seems that most of the "Classic Shaped" stars are not reef safe, so be sure to research before deciding. Good luck!

hurt

I definitely wouldn't go with a chocolate chip star if you have a reef with corals and coraline algae.

beckzilla

I have had an orange linkia for a long time and totally enjoy him as he moves around alot and is always in sight. Very lively Starfish.

O

osufarker

I have a nice 7" red general star and a 5" chocolate chip, but unfortunately they are not reef safe. As was stated above, most stars with the shape you are looking for are not reef safe.
I have a 40 gallon display refugium that I use as my starfish tank. I can't keep stars in my main tank because my queen angel picks at them. They have lots of room to roam which is good since the red general can get up to a foot.

overanalyzer

there is one called a ---- star star fish - someone local had one in their reef. It is big and pink and puffy I don't know much about it other than that. When you see it you understand the name - but it is a pretty "classic" shaped star.
Also - what about a banded serpent star - my kids loved ours - he died when we moved though .... really cool he would eat from our hands ....
If your wife likes puffers and stars and you want some brightly colored corals then why not comprimise. Brains are sand bed corals. So your CC star fish can crawl all over the rock work and you just have to keep the Brain out in the sand .... you would not have the wall of corals you might want but you could get some really cool fish and havea few LPS corals in the sand bed area ....
just a thought!

ophiura

OK, here is the big question:
How long has this tank been set up?
What are your exact water chems, such as pH and salinity?
Seastars and brittlestars are incredibly sensitive to sudden changes in many parameters, and can die of osmotic shock in about a month. This makes shipping a particularly stressful time.
Linckia species stars, and their relatives, are well known for this, and require very long and precise acclimations.
Chocolate chip, red African and general stars are PREDATORY and will eat snails, corals, etc. They can be spot fed, but they most certainly will continue chowing down on anything else they desire, some of which may be algae.
Linckia sp stars are notoriously difficult to keep because their diet is unknown. They DO NOT EAT ALGAE of the sort people expect. They might eat microbial films or, indeed, sponges. They do best in very large tanks with lots and lots of LR.
Sand sifter stars, IMO, should be discouraged in this hobby. Most, unless in a tank of AT LEAST 100g minimum, will starve to death in 9-12 months. They eat the GOOD things in your sand bed and are not considered a good addition to a deep sand bed system. Most will die a slow death that is characterized by a slow disintegration of the arms.
Brittle and serpentstars can be unpredictable in their predatory behavior. Most are good scavengers as well but they do rather little in terms of "cleaning" the sand other than picking up particulates that may sit on the surface.
The only relatively good bet for tanks under 75 g in the Linckia group is Linckia multiflora
which has been known to reproduce in smaller tanks (via arm drops) so long as conditions are pristine and there is lots of rock. A search should turn up some info on them.
Most other Linckia, perhaps excepting the orange, will die in a tank of this size, of starvation, in 9-12 months assuming they make it though acclimation. But personally, it is hit or miss with these guys.
These are not stars for tanks less than AT LEAST 6 months of age. Most stars are not suitable for young tanks but Linckia really stand very little chance.
One must appreciate this when it comes to "resisting" a purchase of these stars. Every shell shop in every two bit beach town and craft shop in the world seems to have them. This hobby places a huge additional strain on them. Please only attempt to keep them if you can insure that you provide a home that has a chance of keeping one alive.
Due to the rapid changes in salinity and pH, most seastars are not recommended for smaller nano tanks. If you are good about keeping up with it and the tank has been running for some time (many months), a brittlestar (aka serpentstar) is an option. Predatory stars are also options but not with corals...and they may outgrow the tank.

F

fishlovr

I just got a linkia multiflora last week and really like him. I drip acclimated him for 5 hours and he's always out on the rock or on the glass in plain view:) He is 3 inches across and has 6 legs. I'm hoping he'll drop one soon and then I'll have two.......
Here's a pic:
fishlovr

bsktmom

I have an Orange Sea Star. He has a classic starfish shape. Very pretty and he is out all the time. Either on the glass, rocks, sand. They eat algae. I also have a serpent star that is really cool. I wasn't sure I was going to like him but I do. He does hide alot though except when he smells food.