Best Tang for 100+ tank - Not Yellow!

lazarus

guys..i really want a powder blue tang but see no support for these gorgeous fish...all i hear is "ich trap." i have a 120g FOWLR tank and have room for one more "show fish." Tangs are my fav. My current stock list:
2 YT
1 percula
3 pajama cardinals
1 coral beauty
1 flame angel
1 CBS
what do you all recommend? would consider also a wrasse, but prefer my fish to graze rather than race back and forth!

lazarus

well i must be doin something right as never had ich in last year since started the hobby. but still looking for a colorful and hardy tang. what of the Clown Tang? this site sells for good price but provides little detail. still want a powder blue but would only shell out the $50 if you guys tell me a stable tank presents no serious risks. i dont have a QT tank so need to be cautious.

reefboys

Clowns are quite quite aggressive so I'd probably steer you away from that. How about a Blue Hippo, Kole, or maybe a Sailfin?

1journeyman

Originally Posted by LAZARUS
well i must be doin something right as never had ich in last year since started the hobby. but still looking for a colorful and hardy tang. what of the Clown Tang? this site sells for good price but provides little detail. still want a powder blue but would only shell out the $50 if you guys tell me a stable tank presents no serious risks. i dont have a QT tank so need to be cautious.
Ok, let me clarify...
Ich is easily preventable by practicing proper QT procedures.

lazarus

i dunno...i love blue hippo but my experience with this and other small stock sold on sites like this is that they dont get past the first few days. they have such little body mass and cannot compete for food. so, an aggressive fish sounds good if that means it can take care of itself, there is really nothing here for it to bully.
kole and sailfin are nice but i am trying to add more color. so, blue hippo and blue powder are my preference. unfortunately, i tried a naso on this site and it did not survive in spite of perfect tank parameters. it also would not compete for food. so, just trying to be more careful this time.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Frank2005
how about a black tang, or if you can afford and find it a gemtang
Same shape as the Yellows and therefore prone to conflict.

lazarus

purple are $$$! i am on a budget. also, purple look like YT and i think they would fight.
i like the brown powder...are they as delicate as blue? cannot seem to find an answer to this on the site.

soldier0117

A friend of mine got his blue hippo to live for 13 years. The funny thing is he was only using an undergravel and no protein skimmer

sepulatian

Ich is easily preventable by practicing proper QT procedures.
I 100% agree. Tangs are scaleless and very prone to ich. Also very likely to come from the LFS with undetectible ich. Therefore infesting any DT.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Soldier0117
A friend of mine got his blue hippo to live for 13 years. The funny thing is he was only using an undergravel and no protein skimmer
Well, everyone has a scenario that isn't likely to happen again. No offense soldier0117.