Best tang for eating hair algea?

mtodd001

I believe my problems started from spent filters on my RO/DI. I changed fliters and started water changes, but I need more help....

dragonzim

How big is your tank and how long has it been set up for? IMO a tang is not necessarily the best fish for taking care of hair algae, especially if the tank is not big enough. I'd look into a Lawnmower Blenny instead.

mtodd001

It's a 54gal bow that's been up for 4yrs. I have a LMB and emerald crab that have put a good dent in it, but I need more help. I will pull out what I can by hand and rely on the tank inhabitants to do the rest.

ophiura

IMO, the tang would only ADD to your problems, not help.
You need an all out war on it, boost your clean up crew, and get on top of the water quality issues that have resulted in this.
A tang is unsuitable for that tank and are very messy fish which simply adds to your problem...not help. Get more snails and emeralds, consider a sea hare (though ideally one you can return as they may starve over time). Otherwise give your animals time, stay on top of water changes and quality and go from there.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Fats71
http:///forum/post/2623750
Foxface tears its up so does scopus tang.
Yeah, but this is a 54 gallon tank. Neither of those are good choices. Do you have Mexican Turbo snails? They tear right through it. Long or short.

mcbdz

Originally Posted by trunkster
http:///forum/post/2623793
General rule, if your tank is under 1000 Gallons, just say no to Tangs

I recommend the mexican turbos also. And every morning manually place them where you want them to clean. They are the best.

cowfishrule

mexican turbo's are more of a cold water species, and may not live long in our tanks, but do a kick-ass job whilst alive.
check your bulbs. i know when i get a hair algae outbreak (every 6 mths), its cause my bulbs have gone funky.

michaeltx

the only real way to fix a hair algae problem is to figure out there the problem is coming from IE> water, foods, lighting, additives, skimmer, etc.. and fix that. there are a few things that eat hair algae but in my experience a tang is not a good choice to do this. there are a few others mentioned that will help but again if the cause isnt correct it will never completely go away and will continue to come back.
Mike

mr_x

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
http:///forum/post/2625596
the only real way to fix a hair algae problem is to figure out there the problem is coming from IE> water, foods, lighting, additives, skimmer, etc.. and fix that. there are a few things that eat hair algae but in my experience a tang is not a good choice to do this. there are a few others mentioned that will help but again if the cause isnt correct it will never completely go away and will continue to come back.
Mike
i agree. nutrient export, and manual removal is the solution. not adding more eating, pooping, critters.
that's why i was going to get rid of my frag tank- i feed so heavily in there that all my eggcrate has a green beard

i guess i'll never bring myself to get rid of the prop tank, or the hair algae.
i just can't say no to some outstretched feeder tentacles!

florida joe

You want to get rid of hair algae you have to starve it. How do you do that invite a bigger eater to the table that you can throw out easily. Think higher order of algae think refug with caulerpa

mtodd001

Well, it's been a couple months and I have gone through a couple mexican turbos they are nonstop, but don't lastlong. I purchased a sailfin tang that picked at the hair algae for a couple days but never made an impact. I'm in the process of moving him to my 180g. I purchased new bulbs, which slowed the algae down and increased my water changes. I had to remove some calurpa from the fuge to make room for the phosban reactor.
I have excessive nutrients so I cut back on feedings and starting removing the algae by hand. I will add more mex turbos and stay on the water changes.