Best Tangs for Reef????

cafero702

I have a yellow tang and a passer angel in my tank and ive been getting alot of corals latley and my angel here and there nip and a couple diffrent ones. He dosnt eat them or munch on the all day but sometimes he will go up for a nip and im thinking in the long run my corals will be damged (if not die) so im going to take my angel to my LFS tomorrow

So i have a 140g tank and a yellow tang in it what are other great reef fish? I really like the sailfin tang is that a good reef fish?
Any suggestions?????

extinct 1ne

I wouldn't add another Yellow Tang (same body shape = disaster). I would go for a Hippo. What do you currently have in your tank?

outsdr2

Hi I think you need to keep the angel. you had to have assumed that he would occasionally nip.Cant you buy him sponges? I hope there is an alternative solution. I love my Sailfin.they are a great fish.

nissan577

hippo no. i have seen hippo before and they havnt seen to be doing good when there is a tang already in there. it will get ich fast and be stress. get powder tangs are good.

matt b

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/3088986
hippo no. i have seen hippo before and they havnt seen to be doing good when there is a tang already in there. it will get ich fast and be stress. get powder tangs are good.
How do you have 8k posts?
Powder browns are notorious for ich/velvet and powder blues are even worse. A blue hep ( not sure why people call them hippos, Their name is hepatus, Not even close to hippo) would be a much better choice then a powder blue or brown. A powder blue/brown would be a very bad idea cause they get stressed easiely and when they do they will get ich. You can have one for years and add a new fish that is clean and he will just break out with ich cause he is stressed.
But any tang you put in is going to a risk for problems, Even if you QT them for two months they can still carry a parasite and not show in until added to the DT and wipe out all the fish.
Sailfins are great fish, Good for bubble algae when they are bigger.
More then one yellow tang is going to be a problem in a 140.
A tomini or other bristle tooth would be nice, They dont get to big and will polish the rocks.

nissan577

were thats from what i have seen and heard around my area. do you have to start this again. everyone has there own opinions. and i never said something like that before. so Matt B i know we dont like each other but please man respect others so the new comers dont think this place is like --.

matt b

http:///forum/post/3089000
were thats from what i have seen and heard around my area. do you have to start this again. everyone has there own opinions. and i never said something like that before. so Matt B i know we dont like each other but please man respect others so the new comers dont think this place is like --.
Sorry, I just thought, Well know, What you posted was bad information and would feel bad for the guy if he was told a powder blue or powder brown was a hardier fish then a blue hep and thought that and then told that to someone else once he got 8k posts. Thats what happends most of the time on these forums, Is people just hear something and then pass it on like they know what they are talking about.

nissan577

well true. many people thing that. but if you read my post you will see i say nothing that yes it bad and such. i said ive seen. im pretty sure he got it. lol
but yea just cause someone has 8000 or 10k post doesnt mean they are right. a guy with 4 post can be more knowledgable then a guy with 25k.

cafero702

lol...
i used to have a powder blue tang it was a little baby got stressed out and died and ive always heard blue hippo tangs get ich so easily but maybe if its a little big and hardier it should be fine??
And i was thinking another yellow tang becasue they do gret in groups together from what ive read and heard and seen in my LFS.

nissan577

yea but if you add it there might be a fight going on. why dont you add it at night when its pitch dark. ive tried that and had success

cafero702

Originally Posted by outsdr2
http:///forum/post/3088985
Hi I think you need to keep the angel. you had to have assumed that he would occasionally nip.Cant you buy him sponges? I hope there is an alternative solution. I love my Sailfin.they are a great fish.
Yes this does sound like a good idea ill buy some more sponge and try it out but i have a little bit in my tank right now and he nips it sometimes but other times he just goes form coral to coral and nips it damaging it.

cafero702

http:///forum/post/3089046
yea but if you add it there might be a fight going on. why dont you add it at night when its pitch dark. ive tried that and had success
o thats a good idea
ill try that.
I was always just worried about adding fish with my angel in there he is quite the bully he will punk a new fish for days then will still keep bullying him little bit whenever it comes close.
i used to have a clown tang it was so gorgeous and perfect but my angel ran him to death.
Thats another reason i want to get rid of my angel. angels are my favorite fish and all but for this tank im trying to do mostly reef and just want it peaceful and i still have room for other fish and many other corals but its hard adding things with my angel

nissan577

i know what you mean. when i had a 29g i had a sixline wrasse. bad thing i did. i never added a fish cause of him. right now in my tank the only semi-aggressive fish is the orange shoulder tang. but the rest are peaceful fish that are having fun. to me the aggressive fish i will always add last. like the last 2 fish ima add are the black and white clowns. next fish i wanna do is the elibi mimic tang. then some cardinals and last clowns. but first get a skimmer! lol
sorry for the hijack.
goodluck bro

coral keeper

Originally Posted by cafero702
http:///forum/post/3089052
o thats a good idea
ill try that.
I was always just worried about adding fish with my angel in there he is quite the bully he will punk a new fish for days then will still keep bullying him little bit whenever it comes close.
i used to have a clown tang it was so gorgeous and perfect but my angel ran him to death.
Thats another reason i want to get rid of my angel. angels are my favorite fish and all but for this tank im trying to do mostly reef and just want it peaceful and i still have room for other fish and many other corals but its hard adding things with my angel

If you don't want the angelfish then GET RID OF IT! Why suffer? Just get rid of it and be done with it. Sorry, not trying to sound harsh.

extinct 1ne

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/3089243
If you don't want the angelfish then GET RID OF IT! Why suffer? Just get rid of it and be done with it. Sorry, not trying to sound harsh.
I have to agree. If it's doing things you don't want it to do, bring it back to the LFS.

aquaknight

Yo! A Matt B sighting! Wat up!
cafero, a passer angel is the one angel, that even I wouldn't bother to try in a reef setting (making note that if I could afford a Clarion, I wouldn't care if he ate corals, just replenish them). If you truly want a reef tank, the only option unfortunately is going to be to trade away the angel. If you perhaps want a tank with some corals here and there, then keep the angel and start trying some corals (very large softies, mushrooms, and SPS would be my recommendation). Distracting the angel with some live sponge isn't going to be enough (if he'll even eat the sponge), and neither is 'keeping him well fed.'
As for the title of this thread, by far and away, the 'best' tangs for reef tanks are those in the Naso genus. Common-named Naso tangs, Vlamingii, Lopezi, etc. The problem is that this guys grow up to be massive, outgrowing even a 140gal.
What I would suggest, is sort of a 'secret fish.' You'll probably have to look to find him, but if you want another tang, I would recommend a Doctorfish, Acanthurus chirurgus
. They are far on the 'peaceful' side of Acanthurus tangs, they're fairly hardy, and can stand up for themselves. Plus, they don't look to shabby as adults.