Best type of food.

trying4reef

I currently have a 75gl tank with 50lbs of LR and only two small damsels and a horseshoe crab which I feed marine flakes (and two turbo snails). Once my cycle is finsihed I'm hoping to add some coral and inverts. I know a lot of inverts eat alge but what about the coral what is the best type of food for a full reef setup? live, frozen, flakes?

keitho

well, many, if not all, commercially prepared flake foods contain elevated levels of phosphates when compared to natural foods (like squid, shrimp, brine, etc). there is no "best" food, but it is definitely to your and your tank's advantage to:
1. limit the amount of flake food you feed
2. use fresh or frozen foods and vary them on a regular basis to ensure proper nutrition
3. supplement with dried marine algae and even vitamin solutions (like zoe and selcon) for your herbivorous residents
doing these things will help keep nuisance algae down (along with regular water changes and not overfeeding) and will go a long way to ensure proper nutrition for all your marine inhabitants. ;) hope this helps...