Best Type of Salt To Use?

abombinus

Just wondering what brand or type of Salt every1 likes or recommends. I have been using Instant Ocean. Also does any1 know a good place online to purchase the salt? Getting expensive with all the water changes.
Thanks,

demosthenes

I've always used IO, but have thought about switching over to Reef Crystals, they're both made by the same company though, and I would suggest either. As for IO and -- really cheap, I know a place, but it's in direct competition with SWF.com, so I won't say it here, but considering SWF.com doesn't sell salt, I would be okay with giving you the link if you provide me your email, or you can email or IM me at Jtorma15@aol.com

eden

If I have started my tank with Coralife, can I switch to another brand? Has anyone else had bad results with Coralife?? It is the only think my lfs carries. Also, are the other salts good for fish only tanks too??

fshhub

I personally like IO, and reef crystals are the only alternative that I would consider(same product, with more trace elements)
James, one question, did you actually test your system for phosphates?
true it may be in some salts, and some salts have also discovered they are there ,and some of those have even taken measures to eliminate them. I would reccomend testing to see. If so, then work on lowering them.
If NOT, then take a look at all your parameters and circulation. It could also merely be from having such a young tank. Both are common in young aquariums, very common. In fact, diatoms are part of the maturing cycle, JMO.

bang guy

I have tried most of the salts available to hobbiests, I've even made my own (too much $$$). The only salt I have ever had negative results with is Coralife. I have settled on Instant Ocean as my preferred salt.

S

simm

I use Reef Crystals. Seems to me it is a little more salty. When mixing in my water I seem to use less -- than IO and almost get the same amount of salinity. -- seems to last a little longer because Im using less amounts of it. IME

bang guy

Originally posted by jamesurq
Bang - were the negative results from coralife cyno?

No. Cyano is a nutrient problem, not a salt problem.
The only problem I experience is my Xenia refused to expand. I use Xenia as a quick visual check of my water parameters. When something changes Xenia will contract or not fully open. They never fully opened while I was using Coralife. The water tested fine so I'm not sure what the problem was. The problem went away when I switched back to IO.

S

simm

Originally posted by lilbuddy
Since this was ignored, can anyone else answer this question. I see that some people do switch salts but is this something you have to slowley go into or just next water change.

I have switched at next water change. Never seemed to have any problems. Iv also asked this question around localy when I went from Io to Reef Crystals and lots of other people have done the same thing with negative results.

broomer5

In my opinion ....
Most all of the synthetic sea salts are so very close in chemical composition - that I feel it would be fine to make a change by gradually introducing the new saltwater into your existing tankwater at your next water change.
That's about the only way to do it.
Are there differences between the various manufactured seasalts - sure there are.
Are these differences so great that there's cause for real concern if 10-20% of type A is mixed in with 80-90% of type B ?
I don't think so.
The major ions are still sodium Na and Cloride Cl- mixed with water, and the rest the major and minor elements.
It's saltwater.
The only thing I could see causing a problem - is if you were to do too large of a water change at one time ~ which could shock the tank inhabitants and shock the water chemistry ~ ESPECIALLY if the newly mixed different saltwater VARIED GREATLY from the existing tankwater ( pH, temperature, salinity, etc ... )
Other than that - go for it ( the Instant Ocean or --'s )

S

simm

Originally posted by broomer5
The only thing I could see causing a problem - is if you were to do too large of a water change at one time ~ which could shock the tank inhabitants and shock the water chemistry ~ ESPECIALLY if the newly mixed different saltwater VARIED GREATLY from the existing tankwater ( pH, temperature, salinity, etc ... )
Other than that - go for it ( the Instant Ocean or --'s )

I agree on that. I didnt mention that. Big changes with lots of live stock may have adverse effects. Iv only done it with top off. Only about 5 - 10 gallons.

tigerlover

I agree with everyone that said instant ocean. Poeple said that as a novice i couln't keep this or that, but everything is doing great.

kev

I currently use IO, but after reading these sites really good I'm starting to wander about the quality of the salts were using... Ya'll check this out and tell me what you think...
www.aquacraft.net
Scroll down to the bottom right, lots of good reading there. According to them, marine enviroment is the best. Check out the S-15 report, and also the Fall out of the S-15 report. I talked with a few people that use marine enviroment, and they said that their corals looked better after making the change from IO to ME. I'm not really sure if its true or not, but I'm going to order some of their salt when I get my check, and tell ya'll how everything goes.... :D

flamehawk

Wouldn't worry about switching to IO. Not enough difference in salts to make a difference.
Demo- Since swf does not sell salt, don't think it w/b a problem telling us your salt purchase secret. I also recall that swf lifted the restriction of suggesting other sites. Is this still the case? Perhaps a shark/moderator can clarify. Thanks.

slick

I use IO. I have never used anything else so I can't say for sure which is best. But I have seen a lot of polls that rate IO as #1

julie

I started my tank in nov 2001 and was always using corallife, and I've always had trouble with phosphate. It just so happens that 3 months ago I switched to reef crystals, because that is what the fish store had in stock, if the salt was the culprit to my algae (phosphate problem) how long would it take to get the tank going good again?

krux

i use kent, and a very sucessful coral propigator that distributes world wide where i buy my stuff also uses kent exclusively (he liked it so much he became an authorized distributor of their stuff). Since he has many many thousands of dollars in corals growing in his system, and they are all of superb quality, i would guess the minor differences in silicates and phosphates are not that big of a deal. I have had nothing but sucess with my kent as well. JMO