Best water for the buck

hobbes

I am currently having a problem with cyano and my latest conclusion is it has to be my filtered water. I have a 55 gallon tank that I faithfully change 5 gallons of water ever week. I have very low nitrates. I am thinking that the membrane on my Coralife is no good anymore. (It is about 2-2 1/2 years old).
Long story short, to test this conclusion, I just want to buy water from the store. If you have used over the counter water, what brand have you had good luck with? (good price would be nice too)
If you live in Houston, what LFS have you bought good water from?

mie

You would be better off to replace your membrane, depending on the size there only like 60 bucks, you will spend that on water in two changes and two years is the average life on the membranes

hobbes

I know I should replace it but I guess I am a bit hesitant to because the water in my area is a bit nasty to start off with. It comes out in a not so nice brown color.....which I know my filter filters but it still makes me nervous. I am also contemplating buying a whole new RO/DI.....I have forgotten the exact number but I think I only get 10 GPD on my current RO.

reefforbrains

If you have a tiny 10 gpd unit and want to get rid of it, I am interested. I am looking for a small one for an upcoming project.

larryndana

you should price some replacements first, it may be cheaper than buying a new one.
what is the tds of the input and output?

hobbes

I am just not sure what I want to do at this point....think I will procrastinate a little more.....I bought ozarka water yesterday for a water change.....that can get very expensive.

hobbes

Originally Posted by larryndana
you should price some replacements first, it may be cheaper than buying a new one.
what is the tds of the input and output?

It has been a while since I have been on the forum, kinda forgot some of the lingo....what is tds?

larryndana

Total Dissolved Solids, its a measure of the total particals in your water. after ro/di it should be zero. its like distilled water, next to nothing in it. of course distilled will still have a small reading on a TDS meter. If your buying water get distilled or ro. you can pick up a TDS meter for like 30 or 40 bucks. i tested my tap water, it has a reading of over 400....after ro/di its zero. i believe my wife tested some bottled water and it was like in the 50's.
with an ro unit, i'm not sure how high your reading would be without a di unit.
getting bottle water is expensive and time consuming.
if you just have an ro unit you can add a di unit and you'll be set. i think all you need is just to replace the filters on yours.

hobbes

Thanks for the helpful information larryndana. Does the DI unit have to be of the same brand to work?
I went to my lfs this morning and they do not have the membrane in stock for my coralife filter. I am going to have to order it online. I am in the middle of a second dose of chemiclean (yes, I know many people will not agree with me putting chemicals in my tank) so I am going to need to do another water change tomorrow. I think I will get some distilled water today to cover me.

lesleybird

I live in SW Houston and the saltwater that I buy pre-mixed for a dollar a gallon at Aquarium World on 290 is always perfect. I have been using it for 4 plus years with no hair algea problems in my tank, and the specific gravity is always perfect. They also sell plain R/O for about half that price. I would not buy water from the fish store on Jones road as once I got it there and the salt level was way off.
If you want to upgrade to a bigger tank I will be selling my 90 gallon in the next 2 to 4 weeks because I am getting a 180 gallon. It is three years old, Oceanic with a corner built in overflow, Tidepool wet/dry. Tank has medium oak Oceanic stand and medium oak trim on the tank. Lesley

hobbes

Originally Posted by Lesleybird
I live in SW Houston and the saltwater that I buy pre-mixed for a dollar a gallon at Aquarium World on 290 is always perfect. I have been using it for 4 plus years with no hair algea problems in my tank, and the specific gravity is always perfect. They also sell plain R/O for about half that price. I would not buy water from the fish store on Jones road as once I got it there and the salt level was way off.
If you want to upgrade to a bigger tank I will be selling my 90 gallon in the next 2 to 4 weeks because I am getting a 180 gallon. It is three years old, Oceanic with a corner built in overflow, Tidepool wet/dry. Tank has medium oak Oceanic stand and medium oak trim on the tank. Lesley

Hi Lesleybird, I know Aquarium World well. I know the place on Jones rd. too. I have bought coral and live rock from them but that is all. Thanks for the info.
P.S. Let me know when you upgrade. I might be interested.

larryndana

i'm not sure about the di unit and which to get. maybe someone will have some advice on that. i just know you can add one.
you will have better prices online.
i use to buy ro water from lfs, gets to be a hassle going back and forth with water. and is cheaper to get a ro/di unit. 50 cents a gallon gets expensive.
i started with salt from them, but i wanted to keep it higher than they had and i wanted control on what type. i believe they were using io, ok for fo or fowlr but not for a reef, IMO.