best way to catch a damsel

kevin01

Oooooh hate damsels. To get the yellow tail out of my tank I removed almost all of the LR. But the little

[hr]
was too fast and I kept sloshing water on the floor trying to keep up. I ended up draining 75% into a clean trash can lined with a clean bag before I could get him. Threw him into my roomates tank, just dead rock, algea and water....he is still alive after six months. Everytime I go to the glass he tries to attack me. :mad:

l and l

I'm in the exact same situation. I've got 3 yellowtails in our 100g - 120 lbs fiji LR. Had I known now back then...I would have cycled it w/ dead shrimp.
I'm still researching it...but, here are a few suggestions:
1. coke bottle w/ food at the bottom. This is what I'm going to try. Wait till they go in and drop a net over the top.
2. Drop a big flake into tank (w/ powerheads off) and use a big net to grab'em when they go for it. I just did this to an Electric Blue damsel in our 30g last week to put him in hospital for ich. That's a quick fish too. Skip a day feeding and get them hungry for it.
3. Saw a post about a guy using a red flashlight at night w/ a net. Haven't figured out about that one.
good luck,
L and L

l and l

oops forgot the sure fire way to catch a damsel.
Drive a Viper, own a big house and have a reef tank the size of a swimming pool. You can go snorkeling anytime!
L and L <---ba doom tish

kris walker

You don't need a viper, just get a bumper sticker that says
"I will cleanup after myself...and my tank"
My wife obviously never saw one. :)
sam

clownman

Mantis Shrimp :D
Actually, I've seen many people trying to take those Devil out of their Reef Tank after "cycling period is long gone...Reef Tank is going strong"

Although your case is different, I guess you are running into the same problem many do.
That's why I am planning not to add any Damsel in my Reef Tank (big one coming), but cycle with shrimp instead (dead). Although I already have few in a 29G tank which will soon become Quarintine tank.
As far as suggestion goes, I will say monitor it and usually they find a single rock as their home. So,after chasing it a little, attempt to pickup the rock it goes into. Your situation may not allow you but its a thought as I was able to mistakenly pull one out when I was talking out a weired crab.

joe5_15

i caught all mine in my 30 to move them, just go where he hangs the most and get a breedin net might cost 3$ and wait for him to come out or get him in a corner and leave it there waitin for him( your still hanging on) then slowly bring him out these are the two best ways i can think of as not destroy your rock set up and stress to the fish (i dont know why every one hates these fish i have 4 and i think there very pretty but i would still like to get them oout though for prettier fish

twoobem

Slurp gun.......
Same thing that caught him in the first place. My LFS let me borrow his and it sucked him right out of the rocks......