best way to frag zoos?

fishfreak1242

I have some zoos on a frag mount that has overgrown the frag mount and I want to frag up the zoos and put them on some pieces of live rock rubble. What would be the best way to do this? thanks

perfectdark

I am attempting this today... from what I have been told. You take a really sharp blade cut the matt between the polyps that you want to remove. Then gently lay the blade on its side moving it under the area you cut out to remove it from the frag its on. Then glue it to the LR you want. If the zoas are on a textured piece of LR you may not be able to remove the mat from the rock and then you would need to cut the rock section the zoas are on and glue that to the piece of LR rubble you want. HTH, I havent done it yet but that is my plan.

fishfreak1242

ok I think ill try it. The zoos I'm fragging grow really fast and arent expensive, so its not a big deal if they don't make it through.

nuzz

You should be able to gently cut them with a razor and then glue them to a rock. Remember to use the gel-based super glue, not liquid.
We just moved (not fragged) some polyps from their frag-plug thing over to a rock. We scraped them off with a straight razor, took them out of the water briefly to apply the glue, then put them back in the water and placed them on the rock - pushing gently until they were secure.
Accidentally got glue on top
of one of the polyps somehow
Oops. All the others opened up almost immediately though.
Kara

fishfreak1242

thanks. How long can a coral survive outside of water? Like if I were to frag it and take it out of the tank but keep it wet, would it survive?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by fishfreak1242
http:///forum/post/2803465
thanks. How long can a coral survive outside of water? Like if I were to frag it and take it out of the tank but keep it wet, would it survive?
Yes... I have had zoas out for a half hour no water dried and they lived.

kevin34

ya zoos can last a while out of water. I usually put them in a small container of tank water and when I frag dip them in that every 2-3 minutes or so just to be safe.

nuzz

Zoos are fine out of water for a few moments while you do your thing... but that doesn't go for all corals of course. Like for instance I heard that birdsnest corals should not be taken out of water by any means... anyways my point was, not all corals are the same.
Kara