best way to get rid of ammonia

ndtechie05

what is the best way to get rid of ammonia? i have a 75gallon tank that has been cycled for 2 months now. i have 20lbs of lr in it and a yellow and kole tang, flame angel, 2 clowns and some werid goby that all he eats is rocks, i forget his name. but anyway my nitrites are at 0 and i did my weekly water change on friday and i still have ammonia. i feed them everyday, i think this may be my problem. im scared to do another water change until friday unless it will be ok that i do a water change.

ndtechie05

it is between .25 and .50, cant figure out which one it is closer to. i am using the aqarium pharm salt liquid master test kit. also i am using that coral-vital stuff, the stuff in the blue bottle, it says it may cause high ammonia readings but i can see my fish breathing fast, which i believe is not normal at all, but they are all eating and are active.

nitram

I think you have really put a lot of fish in your tank really fast, if your tank is only 2 months old that means you have added the fish really close togeather which means your bio load is jumping up real fast and you dont have all the right ammount of natural good stuff to kick it down. live rock is a must in these systems it will help with this it will make your cycle go really well and you need at least a neither 50lbs. the key is to go at it slow slow slow not fast like you have. So now that you allready have 6 fish in a new tank it will be hard to get the ammonia down unless you do a lot of water changes.when My tank was cycling I would change about 15 to 20 gal at a time and it seemed to work well in my 55 tank but I only had one fish for about 2 months. What you really need to do is take about 4 of your fish out and let your tank cycle then add them in slowly if your LFS will let you store them there at there place or you could possiable see some dead fish real soon. I do suggest a water change soon. No expert though so take my advice with caution and not the gospel someone else might tell you how to fix this problem but Good luck on this and keep us posted of any changes.

sw65galma

Originally posted by ndtechie05
it is between .25 and .50, cant figure out which one it is closer to. i am using the aqarium pharm salt liquid master test kit. also i am using that coral-vital stuff, the stuff in the blue bottle, it says it may cause high ammonia readings but i can see my fish breathing fast, which i believe is not normal at all, but they are all eating and are active.

Get some AmmoLock for now and do small water changes everyday.