best way to keep live rock/sand temporarly

D

dboy999

i just sold my 75g setup with all live stock except sand an live rock.Iam moving on Jan. 15 selling the tank this sunday.What would be the best way to keep sand/rock temporarly.Big rubbermaid contaner?or something.Makeing a 210 inwall setup in new home.keeping live rock/sand an as much water as i can to seed new tank.so figure from now till the 15th of Jan. an about a week after moving in.what kinda lighting if any needed i have vho's an MH's but dont wanna make a setup with those just for this they are retrofits that are coming out of canopy that selling with tank.DO i need to hook back up skimmer,uv sterl,etc..no livestock will be in there..maybe some sand snails an some hitchhikers from rock thats about it...gonna use the established water this tank im selling is 3 1/2 yrs established...thanks dboy

B

big911dog

either a rubbermaid or a new, clean plastic garbage can with a heater/protein skimmer.

spline9

If you dont hear from any experienced people about this, I would use the tupperware method.
You probably only really need a powerhead for circulation. Use the skimmer if you can but its probably not vital. U/V, dont worry about. As for light, if you can manage to set some light up, it will help any corals on the LR but if there arent any, dont worry about it.
LFS's cycle LR like this all the time. I dont see why you cant just use this as a temp storage solution.

nas19320

I would just use a rubbermaid tub or trashcan. The tub may be better as it will allow more surface gas exchange. Throw in a heater and supply good circulation. Add light if you have any light dependant organisms, corals etc. Coraline may receed a little without any light but it will come back one in the new tank. You may wanna shift the pieces around every now and then just to allow everything to get good current.

spline9

Haha yeah, I meant rubbermaid. Not tupperware.
*tries to imagine 75 gallons worth of LR/LS/water in tupperware spread across the floor.*

golfish

You want to keep the temp stable and you want lots of flow so I'd throw it all in a big Rubbermaid tub with a heater and some powerheads or a big submergible pump. Make sure you keep the water parameters respectibale. If you have any corals on the rock you might want to add some light.

D

dboy999

i wont have any corals iam selling all live stock an corals also with my 75g setup.I have all kinds of mag drive pumps 2mag5's a mag7,mag9,an (mag24 for new setup) was think they would be too much an suck up sand was just gonna put a bunch of power heads and/or use an old fluval 404 i have laying around..Maybe even thinking of puting live rock in one cotainer an sand in another?

D

dboy999

ok made the move thanks Mike....the move as in tank an livestock gone an now left with my rock an sand..heres how i set it up was too much for one container LR is in trash blue trash can sand is in rubbermaid tub...i have heaters in both one power head in the sand,and in live rock i have 3 powerheads an an ole seaclone 150..think the sand fine without skimmer?i dont wanna rig my big skimmer if i dont need too have alot of sand snails an a sand star in sand also.heres some pics .In the net is some mocro i had from my fuge figured couldent hurt,oh an runnin an ole fluval 404 on rock no filters or anything basically for circulation ,actually there some nitrate sponges in the fluval also...

mbowker

I made the trip home and everything is responding nicely, Im sure alot of people called about your set that you had posted in the classified board, but they missed out on some beautiful pieces of coral and some colors ive never seen before (frogspawn for instance.) Im incredibly happy. Thanks again

D

dboy999

anyone have an opinion as far as skimmer in liverock or sand? what do you think is more important?skimmers bin in lr for about 5 days now an getting some good foam from it .Think maybe switch to sand for a few days an then back to lr an so on.?...i have a bunch of nassasuri snailsin sand an a sand sifter star in there an ive seen a few hermits here an there in sand an lr.My man "mbowker" got the bulk of the hermits an snails..LOL

snipe

I love your hickerbilly tank though I dont think it would look very good next to the sofa lol.
Im so silly!!!!!

D

dboy999

I love your hickerbilly tank though I dont think it would look very good next to the sofa lol. .
..thanks but looking for a serious anwser....:mad:

snipe

No need to get mad just having some fun. IMO it looks like you have got it figured out as long as you keep it stable like a reef or at least a FOWLR it seems to me it would do just fine in what it is in.

spline9

If you wanted to not worry about having to swap the skimmer around is to rig up an overflow for the trashcan, and siphon the stuff into the bin below. Imagine your trashcan as a display tank and your bin as the sump. That way the quality of the water will remain the same between the two containers and you can leave the skimmer in one spot.
Otherwise, everything should be ok. I dont see why it wouldnt. The only difference is that theres plastic instead of glass, right? :)
Oh, just a thought... you can drill/cut into the trashcan. You can turn it into a reef-ready if you like! Heh. :D Cut a hole in the side (at the overflow point) and silicon a short length of hose to drain into the tub. Then you can just get a powerhead (with hose, of course) pumping water into the can. The can will just naturally drain into the tub! Easy!

D

dboy999

thanks spline,an spike i wasent gettin mad just a bit irratated at the time from the move an all..its all good .....