Best way to move fish from quarantine tank to display tank

mjm889

Ok i just set up a quarantine tank so i can buy a fish to put in my display tank. im not going to buy the fish until the tank is cycled. what is the best way to transfer the fish from your quarantine tank to your display tank without stressing the fish out. Thanks for any info on this.

btldreef

Making sure that parameters are as close to each other as possible is a big help. Then drip acclimate them.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Use water from your display to to set the QT up and then when it comes time to do water changes on the QT, also use the water from the display. This will get your water close to the display water, minimizing the need for acclimation. Be sure to keep pH, salinity, and temp in display and QT the same.
Don't net your fish to do a transfer. Corral them into a container or ziplock with water, then do the transfer.

aquaknight

Depending on the size of the QT, I use one of those 1.5/2 gal buckets. With a soft plastic aquarium plant inside, I remove all of the decor from the QT and set it in the QT, and wait for the fish to enter the bucket. Once they're exploring inside, quickly flip the bucket while putting on the lid.
I usually just catch the fish from the bucket by hand to put in the DT, but unless you're comfortable handling fish, use something else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/388847/best-way-to-move-fish-from-quarantine-tank-to-display-tank#post_3432073
Don't net your fish to do a transfer.
Yea. Just a worthy reminder to everyone, never use a net on an angelfish. Their gill spines could get caught in the mesh of the net. Not fun.

mjm889

thanks guys, would a 29 gallon tank be a good size, i have a 135 galllon display tank and only plan i buying one or two large fish but only when there are in the juvi state. let me know if that would be big enough otherwise i would go to 55 gallon qt

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm889 http:///t/388847/best-way-to-move-fish-from-quarantine-tank-to-display-tank#post_3432131
thanks guys, would a 29 gallon tank be a good size, i have a 135 galllon display tank and only plan i buying one or two large fish but only when there are in the juvi state. let me know if that would be big enough otherwise i would go to 55 gallon qt
It all depends on how small the juvenile fish is. If you can swing for the 55, that might be a better option since your display tank is a 135. I don't like using a QT smaller than 40G for my fish that go in my 180.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
4 weeks is good. During that time, it is a good idea to spend daily time looking at your fish using a magnifying glass to catch any problems early.

mjm889

thanks everyone i jst got done setting it up. i went with a 20 long just based on the fact if i every have to use it as a hospital tank i wouldnt have get crazy with the meds.