Best way to pump water from container to tank?

lesleybird

Hi, I am upgrading from my 90 gallon to 180 gallon in the next 2 to 4 weeks so I am going to buy a R/O unit and put it outside near a hose and make water into a large trash can. I am trying to figure out the best way to pump the water into my tank in the living room. I don't know if I need to put a pump into the trash can and turn it on and run back to unplug it when the tank is almost full, or if there is an external pump that could run with an unprimed hose full of air that could be used inside closer to the tank so that I can turn it off at exactly the right moment? I am thinking that I will have to stick the pump into the can. Anyone have any suggestions?
Also, I am trying to decide on which R/O unit to buy. And should I leave this thing on all the time with the can nearly full taking a gallon a day out for top off water so that it will have a little water running through the unit daily so the filters will not get stale with bacteria etc? I read that one company says to refrigerate the R/O filter if it is only being used every few weeks....I don't want to do that! Can't I just put a float switch into the can and take my top off water from there every other day or so to keep the membrane fresh? I plan to leave the can outside all the time and get one of those trash can holder shead that holds two large cans. I want to mount the R/O unit on the inside wall of the and hook it up to the hose faucet. Will 100 degree plus heat hurt the unit? Do I need a pump for the R/O unit? Does it hurt the water to sit in the can for two weeks before use?
Anyone have any suggestions on which R/O unit to buy or a good pump please say so. Thank you, Lesley

adamc1303

Why don’t you use a regular submersible pump and run a long extension cord to it plugging it in near the tank when you see its full yank the plug!

adamc1303

Originally Posted by Lesleybird
Anyone have any suggestions on which R/O unit to buy or a good pump please say so. Thank you, Lesley
How far are you pumping the water from the can to the tank? If you will be stationing this water filled trash can you may as well set it up with a hose directly to the tank or sump for topping off, rather than carrying the water from the can to the tank daily. This way once you run the extension cord near your tank all you would need to do is turn the pump on for a few min or seconds every time you need to top off with out having to carry buckets of water. I do recommend using a surge protector instead of yanking the plug all the time.

rykna

I use my sumbersible all the time for this. To see how powerful the little pump was I ran a tube all the way downstairs. No problems.

lesleybird

Originally Posted by Adamc1303
Why don’t you use a regular submersible pump and run a long extension cord to it plugging it in near the tank when you see its full yank the plug!
Perfect idea! Thanks

al mc

I do something similar to RYNKA to save my back from hauling water. I know that a Mag24 can push water at least 15 feet 'up' , if necessary.