Best way to spot feed and what do you use?

geckoxp

I have a green brain, hammer, frogspawn and I am looking down the road to expand now that I have a better lighting system in my tank.
What is the best way to spot feed the existing corals and if I were to get into something more advanced down the road...way down the road...what would be the best way to spot feed the corals and what do you use? I picked up some cyclop-eeze and I know there is coral frenzy out there along with others. I started to spot feed what I have 2-3xs taking a plastic syringe and spot feeding the cyclop-eeze.
Just wondering if I should be doing something different or not. Thanks as always!

flower

Originally Posted by GeckoXp
http:///forum/post/3145702
I have a green brain, hammer, frogspawn and I am looking down the road to expand now that I have a better lighting system in my tank.
What is the best way to spot feed the existing corals and if I were to get into something more advanced down the road...way down the road...what would be the best way to spot feed the corals and what do you use? I picked up some cyclop-eeze and I know there is coral frenzy out there along with others. I started to spot feed what I have 2-3xs taking a plastic syringe and spot feeding the cyclop-eeze.
Just wondering if I should be doing something different or not. Thanks as always!

The corals you listed do not need spot feeding. I have kept them for years (except brain coral, I don't have those), just feed the tank in the morning when the lights come on, once a week...turn off the skimmer for the day, as it will absorb the food out of the water current.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by GeckoXp
http:///forum/post/3145702
I picked up some cyclop-eeze and I know there is coral frenzy out there along with others. I started to spot feed what I have 2-3xs taking a plastic syringe and spot feeding the cyclop-eeze.
that works, its how I spot feed I have both plastic bulb droppers as well as various sized syringes for spot feeding corals based on the food size I am feeding. the hammer and frogspawn are really slow eaters and generally consume small prey, cyclops are great, ex small mysis, oyster eggs if you can get them are a great coral food too. I usually make up my own coral/fish food with various stuff found at the seafood counter of the local grocer. if you look up hiome made fish food I am sure you can find planty of threads on that.for coral foods you just avoid the algaes in the ingredients, and blend for longer to create a finer cut. for the brains I either wait till after lights out when they open or, squirt some food at them to entice the feeder tentacle to come out and then feed them.

geckoxp

Well my frogspawn, brain, zoos, stars are doing fine but my hammer went all white so I was hoping that spot feeding would help. It was doing great until my ich outbreak and then it went south. I am hoping the better lights and dome TLC with spot feeding will help out...I should post pics when I can and see what you think and if there was anyway to save it.

truperc

Basically already said, but here is my summary version.
Pumps off
Bulb syringe
Appropriate sized food
Squirt
10 minutes
Pumps on again
Spot feeding can help if you are looking for growth, but as stated is not required.
If I am broadcast feeding my powerhead stays on while my overflow pump is off to blow the food around the tank.