best way to start over...

zoie2

I've decided to break down my 12 gal nano-cube DX and start over. I have hair algae all over my back wall and some base rocks. The rocks I'm going to toss, there are only 2. The other corals and rocks are safe in my 6 gal for now. (although they aren't too happy).
Questions:
which is better: to scrape the wall with the water in it, or drain it down to the LS and scrape it. I'm thinking if I do it with the water level down, I can just wipe the scraper with a cloth instead of trying to vacuum it as I go.
I'm also going to buy a new pump, right now I have the maxi-jet 900, is there anything better than that?
I'm also going to get a new heater- any suggestions would be great.

flower

I would not toss the rock. To be honest a small tank is much harder to take care of than a large one. Can you upgrade? There are critters that eat algae, even hair algae. It takes at least a year for a tank to mature and it’s a shame to just start over again with the same tiny tank.
If you can upgrade even to a 30g it would help you allot. Your lights, rock, sand and everything even the pumps could be used. A used tank wouldn’t cost much. A dwarf Angel will go in a 30g and they will clean the hair algae right up. Not to mention they are a beautiful active fish.

zoie2

No I can't upgrade, I don't have the space. Plus I like the 12 gal. I got a 6 gal last year and it's doing great. I have had this tank for 5 years and it's been doing great, until the hair algae came. Not sure why it did, but now I can't get rid of it, I have been trying since Oct. and I'm done trying.
I have to get rid of the rocks because they are covered, I have scrubbed them 2x and it's come back. I dont' want to risk spreading it to my coral and my rocks that aren't covered. (they are in my 6 gal until I get my 12 gallon under control.)

zoie2

well, I'm not done trying, that's extreem.
My LFS (who so far has been good, I know some aren't) told me to scrub the rocks in a seperate bowl, not in my tank, then rinse them in salt water and put them back in the tank and wait a bit to make sure I got it all off. Which I did back in Oct, and again in Nov. I have been scraping the wall and vacuuming as I got, scooping out anything floating, changing my sponge so it can't reseed from there, Doing water changes weekly.
So, I came here for help.
I was told to manualy remove it, which I think I'm way past.
get a sea urchin ( which may nock over my coral) and I'm not sure it could do the back wall,
or get a lettuce nudi, which would cost me $45 and it would either die, or I would have to give it away and it's a slow method.
So, right now, it seems like the only way out is to start over. I would rather put the 45$ toward a new pump and supplies for the tank.
I don't want to KILL my rock so I offer it to my LFS if they will take it.
So I'm just wondering the best way to do this.

flower

If your corals are glued down good, an urchin will also clean the back glass and every nook and cranny and do no harm to your tank. I have a Diadema urchin (big black long spikes) He delicately goes around my corals without disturbing anything at all. You could get a small Diadema and turn that in when it gets too big.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoie2 http:///forum/thread/383090/best-way-to-start-over#post_3347902
and what happens when all the hair algae is gone?

The algae will never be gone, just under control. The Urchin will feed on one area and move to the next, while he cleans elsewhere the algae regrows making him more food but not enough to look ugly in your tank. The problem is that diademas get very big. and your tank is small, so get a small urchin, if he outgrows the tank trade down. It really amazes me in what tiny spots something with those spikes can reach. They eat all algae, including the pretty purple coraline. My tank has so much coraline I actually got him so he would to eat the stuff. Just make sure your corals are well seated and glued and you won't have any problems with it bulldozing through them.

zoie2

I called my LFS and they said they were getting some urchins tonight, but they didn't know what kind. Does it matter what kind? I also wish I had a LFS that traded, but they dont. Well, not coral anyway, because of hitch-hickers he said. But maybe if I explain the situation he might give me a deal.
I don't mind if they eat the coraline, my tank is covered with it, I have to scrape it off my glass all the time.
I hope this all works, I don't want to re-cycle my tank. I've been watching to see if it will just from me moving so much stuff around. So far so good. I also got my pump working better. I called the company, and they helped me with it.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoie2 http:///forum/thread/383090/best-way-to-start-over#post_3347990
I called my LFS and they said they were getting some urchins tonight, but they didn't know what kind. Does it matter what kind? I also wish I had a LFS that traded, but they dont. Well, not coral anyway, because of hitch-hickers he said. But maybe if I explain the situation he might give me a deal.
I don't mind if they eat the coraline, my tank is covered with it, I have to scrape it off my glass all the time.
I hope this all works, I don't want to re-cycle my tank. I've been watching to see if it will just from me moving so much stuff around. So far so good. I also got my pump working better. I called the company, and they helped me with it.

It just has to be reef safe, pencil urchins are a no go for reefs. The pincushion is fine, in fact they are smaller. Oh and acclimate in a glass container very slow like for a starfish, those spikes can really dig into Styrofoam.
You still have to figure out what is causing the HA and fix it.

Hair algae cause check list:

• Overfeeding coral or fish food

• Old RO filters that need replacing

• Using Tap or well water
    Phosphates are high
    Old bulbs in the lights
Make sure you still do your water changes and get some phosphate remover.

zoie2

thanks, but I'm not sure why I got it. the only thing that has really changed is my water flow. I change my lights every year in Feb, I was told I couldn't have high phosphates if I use RO water, was that a lie? I buy it from Walmart. I don't over feed, I only have one fish I feed a pinch every other day. I just don't know, trhat's another reason I am so frustrated.
Anyway, I will try the urchin and util I get it I have the temp down, the lights off and the water flow is back to normal. I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks for the help.