Best ways to introduce new corals

bill109

Originally Posted by FishyFun2
http:///forum/post/3065789
Oh, darn, a trip to wal-mart is on tomorrow's agenda then.

Thanks for the pointers on the gloves!
i have heard a person loosing an eye becuase he had a zoanhoid squirt into his eye and ended up losing it i believe. also have heard of someonr trying to boil zoa off a show rock and the fumes severley hurt his lungs.
search for palyotoxin i belive its called. and read some of the stories and precautions
good luck! cant wait to see pics!

tr1gger

My opinion on gloves is always use Nitro (Nitrile Latex). They will resist alot of puncturing stings that CAN go through regular latex examination gloves. They are cheap enough, i buy the black ones, a box contains 100 (50 pairs) have never had a problem and saftey is always my number one outlook.

fishyfun2

Ok, now you've scared me! I'll be wearing a head-to-toe plastic shield tomorrow while I'm acclimating!!!! No, seriously, thank you. I'll check that out. I'd like to keep both my eyes!

On the favites and candy cane, I read on several reputable sites they they like moderate lighting and do better than with high lighting levels? I guess I'll just have to play around with it like you said. If they start to go downhill, I'll guess I'll trade them in for credit at my LFS (assuming I don't kill them!!!!). Like I said before, not much money in it at this point. I'll post some pics after I get them in and when things have opened up.

loopy101

first off congrads on your new corals hope everything works out for you!!
latex gloves are fine to use just buy the powder free gloves you can get them in packages of 50 for around 3 dollers at walgreens ive been using them for over a year and no problems..
as far as the hammer it should be just fine on the bottom of your 29 gal mine is doing great in my 55 gal under pc lighting. granted i am planning to upgrade to t5's in the near futer
acclimating corals i have always just temp acclimated them. if anything i will take a shot glass and every 10 minutes or so add some water from the tank.
as far as dips like someone else said on small frags you can look over the coral and the plug and see what it all there. more then likely your corals will be shrunk up when you get them so it woudl be easy to see anything.
as far as palytoxins. its not very likely anything like this will happen. but its a great idea to wash up good before and after handeling any corals, and a good idea to wear saftey glasses! i have had zoas and mushrooms spit on me nothing to go crazy about IMO!

fishyfun2

Thank you for your experience with the PC lights. I will upgrade too someday. There just always seems to be something else to buy, right? The LPS I have coming is a favites sp. I'll try to attach a pic of the mother colony. I was doing research on favites sp. in general before I bought it.

tr1gger

Originally Posted by loopy101
http:///forum/post/3065855
latex gloves are fine to use just buy the powder free gloves you can get them in packages of 50 for around 3 dollers at walgreens ive been using them for over a year and no problems..
Man for about 3 dollars more there is alot more security there. Whew

bill109

when i acclimate i dont usually wear gloves and stuff. ill be honest but when i frag corals. i feel its important to wear them

loopy101

+1 bill i only wear the gloves and stuff when i am fragging as well.
Trigger to be honest with you im not familer witht he gloves your talking about. but are they pretty thick or what makes them wortht he extra money to buy the same quanity?
oyea forgot to check and see if you got your new frags yet? and if so how do you like them???

fishyfun2

Hi, thanks for asking. Yes I got them in today. They are pretty but tiny! The paly opened up right away and the yellow polyps are open too. The zoos are taking more time, but each frag has a little something opening. Actually the GSP is taking more time to open than anything else.
Hey, quick question. The paly came attached to a small rock but part of it is also attached to a small piece of eggcrate. Should I just leave it or try to cut away most of the eggcrate?
Thanks!

loopy101

a picture would be helpfull on that question! is the eggcrate pretty deep into the paly? the eggcrate isnt going to hurt anything being stuck onto the paly or rock but im sure it doesnt look the greatest! but if you leave it be in time the paly will grow over it and the egg crate will cover up with coraline algea.
if anything cut away as much egg crate as you can and leave the rest be. you dont want to stress the coral out to much and just going through shipping and getting bounced around and such prolly best you dont add any extra stress to it.
so you are taking pictures to share when they open up right????