Beta fish in a reef?

jmsullivan

Two days ago I bought a beta fish(large fins, black with white spots)and was told it was reef safe and would eat most anything Frozen, brine, etc..., this is the third day he's been in my tank and I haven't seen him eat anything and he hides in the back alot, although when the lights go off he does come out more. Is this normal? I don't know to much about these guys. When I added him to the reef he had a small sore on his chin, I think from when they tried catching him to bag him, anyway the sore is noticably better so I think he is healthy or it wouldn't be healing. Maybe? anyone have info on this fish?

mal

I have two of these guys. One big fella in my reef, and a tiny one in my FO. They are reef safe IME. I have never seen either go after snails or anything else in the tanks. They are a bit shy though. Mine come out a lot when I stand farther away from the tanks, but at feeding time they are always out. I feed various foods. They both really like krill and silversides, but eat reef formula and other foods for a few days when I run out. They totally love the spirulnella (sp?) formula. Chopped squid and clams are good too. Try feeding and standing away from the tank, he may just have to get used to the new crib. Good luck, they are cool fish.
[ November 27, 2001: Message edited by: mal ]

freckles

i have a comet as well. i feed frozen brine shrimp and will never turn down mysis frozen shrimp. they are shy for a long time and are slow to eat. good luck! i love mine.null