Beth, help with a few questions?

dstoneburg

Having this been my first experience with ick I am a little uneasy. I took my porc puffer(2inch) Koran angel(3.5inch?) and lunar wrasse(1.5inch) and put them into a QT tank as they were showing signs of ick. The QT unfortunatly is a 40g breeder. Given the size of the fish I hope it will suffice. As of two days ago I dropped the SG to 1.009 and have been doing daily water changes of about 15% mostly to get out all the small peices of food the puffer leaves behind. The only param that is getting a little out of control is ammonia. I do not know the specifics of ammonia, as ive never had a problem with it, its always been zero. Well, its been hitting .50. I am using a 150 pengium biowheel and a 200 pengiun biowheel. I am using RODI water. Ive been reading about amquel and would like to know your personal opinion on the matter. And what you reccomend I do! Also at what ammonia reading should I start to get REALLY worried? Thanks beth!
PS - I feel like im writing into deer abby! :)
Nitrates - 10?
Nitrites - 0
Ammonia - .50
Ph - 8.4
SG - 1.009
I used tank water from my DT as well as a sponge from the sump.
I have been feeding krill and mysis, going to add fresh garlic to the diet as well. The fish eat like theres no tomorrow and in general seem very happy and healthy. Also going to add New Life Spectrum Thera A, as it should be arriving in the mail any day now. I just cleaned the filter media and am hoping that is going to solve the problem. Theres a good chance some food got in there and has just been decaying.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Try to target feed your fish using a turkey baster, which may reduce the amt of food that goes to waste (pollutes the tank). Feed in very small increments, even if you need to feed more meals.
Yes, use the amquel or amnolock, which will convert the very toxic ammonia into less toxic.
Drop the pH gradually to 8.0. Ammonia become more toxic at higher pH. Do this very gradually, however.
Any ammonia can be lethal. Cleaning media is a bad idea, since with the cleaning your destroying the bacterial colonies you need to support your bio-system.
Add a few cups of substrate from your display tank into your quarantine.
Continue with the water changes using some of the water from your display to do the changes. Obviously that needs to be diluted due to the hyposalinity.
What are you using to measure salinity?