Beth -- need a quick answer on damaged fish

spsfreak100

I recently purchased an extremely healthy regal angelfish, which was in perfect shape and and even consuming flake food after a few minutes of being introduced to my tank. I found him this morning stuck onto the intake of a Amp Master 3000 (used for closed loop). The fish was likely there for a few hours. He still swims (although he is often hiding behind the rockwork between a few rocks -- likely becuase the lighting is off), however, his breathing is very heavy and there is now a small wound near his stomach on the left side of the fish. I'm curious what I need to do to help treat something like this?
Graham

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, Graham. Sorry, there really is not much to do in this case except keep him stress free. How powerful was that intake?
I'm assuming this fish is in your reef and you can't transfer him to a QT? Is he moving around at all?
Now, I have to ask, must any intake in the tank be unscreened?

spsfreak100

Hi Beth,
Thank you very much for your reply.
Luckily, the fish is doing much better. The lights are off, but the fish is behind the rockwork swiming around. I've also seen him take a few nips at the rockwork every once in awhile. Luckily the wound doesn't seem to be very serious at all. Shortly after finding the fish in the intake, I went out and bought several foods to coax him to eat (Mysis, Sponges, Brine), in the event that he refuses food after the incident. I also went out and bought some Kent Garlic as well as MelaFix. What are you opinions on using MelaFix in a reef? I've done as many searches as possible, and so far I'll use this as a last resort in the case of a secondary infection occurence. However, I'm still interested in hearing as many opinions about this mediation as possible.
How powerful was that intake?
A 2" strainer was sucking in 3000 gallons per hour.
I'm assuming this fish is in your reef and you can't transfer him to a QT?
Correct. I would need to literally take apart the tank to get the fish. I also feel that this would be adding more stress onto the fish.
Now, I have to ask, must any intake in the tank be unscreened?
The intake did have a 2" threaded strainer, although I guess this wasn't enough to keep organisms out. I have since covered the strainer with mesh in a way that nothing can get closer than around 1 1/2" from the intake. I have also put rocks completely around the intake, so I doubt anything (other than some snails or small shrimp) would be able to get in there.
Thanks again for your reply. It is a very beautiful fish. I attached a picture of him which I took last night.
Graham

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, he is beautiful. I don't see injury in that picture.
Don't use Melifix. I think its a waste of time. I've yet to hear anyone here that said it did any good. As you can imagine, I would not advocate putting any med into a reef tank.
Instead of using the garlic product, if you can just use fresh minced garlic and soak up the juice into your food, that would be preferable. Garlic has a mild antibiotic quality to it, and it is a natural immune booster. I really don't think much of the packaged products sold. I've experimented with both fresh and bottled.

streetdoc

Made the mistake of adding Melafix yesterday in my 210. Spent the rest of the day and most of the early evening getting out through heavy skimming and changing a total of 80 gallons of water. Lost the anenome durring the ordeal and stressed the hell out of my snails and conchs. The tank was loaded with slime form them and I ended up using a net to get out as much as possible and changed the filter twice. I threw the rest of it away!! Might work for a fish only but I'll never use it again.:mad:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
How did you change out 80 gals of water? Hopefully, it was not "on-the-spot" salt mixed water.
Melfix is a waste of time and does who knows what to tanks.

streetdoc

No, it wasn't on the spot mix. I keep 80 gal pre mixed and aerated on hand and another 20 - 30 of plain RO/DI for top off and Kalk drip (I hope Santa brings me a calcium reactor) The 80 was replaced during the course of the day as my protien skimmer removed it. I adjusted it for the max flow producing a very watery mixture trying to remove the Melafix. They should name it "Helluvafix" for what it gets you into.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Well, that's nice that you have the area to devote to such a large water tank. Is it a rubbermaid or aquarium?

streetdoc

Niether, Beth. I am looking into a large garbage can soon, but right now I m using 5 Gal drinking water containers with air stones and air pump and old empty 5 Gal buckets from salt mix. It's not too bad because the buckets stack nice in the garage but 1 or 2 large containers would be nicer.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I used to buy DI water in jugs. Kept up to 30 gals hanging around the house, in the trunk of the car, etc. Got sick of that after a couple of yrs and finely put up the RO/DI....best buy I've ever made. I use a 20 gal tall kitchen garbage for the collection container.
I also keep a 15 gal tall with a 12" sq footprint tank for mixing salt water, then a QT as well. In this hobby, its hard to get away from water containers....lol.