Beth- Please Help-Ich

spnohio

This is on the fish discussion under hyposalinity
I am doing hyposailinity for my powder brown tang. I noticed when i tested the ammonia it was 20ppm, is this normal when doing hypo? the hypo is 14 ppm. is water changes only going to drop the ammonia?
Normal if you did this in your display, or if you did not cycle your qt. In either case this is not good. Yes, do water changes and get this to 0. Find out what the cause is and eliminate it.
Well since he is breathing really hard and changed a little color darker grey, and i don't know the source of the ammonia yet, i put him on our display sump/fuge, seems to be doing a little better, this will give him a better environment to live for now ammonia free? i know there is no ammonia there. Can fish live in the sump/fuge?
Are you doing hypo in the display?? If so, the die off on your rock and sand is the cause...and if this is the case being in the sump won't help...it has the same water.
or did you move it from a qt with 1.009 salinity to a display with somewhere around 1.020 salinity....that big of a jump is NOT good and is probably worse for the fish. Did you cycle the qt...if not this is the cause of the ammonia, and you would have to do daily water changes to keep it in check.
I was one of the nieve individuals who didn't have a QT and when my fish got ich...guess what? I realized I had no choice. I had to do a QT without cycling it and the only way I am keeping my fish alive and the amonia level down is daily water changes. I have been changing at least 1/2 of the water and they are doing really well now, but like I said...the water changes are still a must. Its a lot of work, but they are worth it in my opinion. I know now that I need to keep the QT set up for sure. I'm like USIRCHCHRIS, if you are doing hypo in your display, that's the cause of the die off and amonia spike. I would hate to lose everything on my rock and sand in my display. Leave the display empty while you hypo in a QT and let the parasites fade away. That realy is your best way to go. Good Luck
usirchchris and dnvrbrown - you know i have live sand in the qt. I didn't even think about it till i tested i am sure its the live sand. I needed to take the sand out and I forgot. Well, as of 6:30 pb tang was doing really great in the sump/fug, he struggled for a while, but has made it so far. Yes, i know that taking him from 1.009 to 1.020 from 14 to 28ppm was a huge jump. i had no other choice at the time, he would have died from the ammonia spike, so i tried whatever i could, lesson learned, i hope it doesn't cost him his life. So, can he live in the sump/fug for a while, it has a uv, skimmer too? the reason i didn't put him back in the display was that he had a small amount of ich, hence the qt tank. the hypo- worked but its only been a week. any advice what to do? he got ich from the flame angel stressing him. if i rearrange the rocks would this calm the flame angel down? i have a 75 gal with lr, crabs, snails, orange spotted goby, scopas tang, royal gramma and a flame. please give me your suggestions?
Ok, so I am on the same page. You had ich in your dt...you took one fish out, and left the rest in. You put the 1 fish in qt for a week, then put him in the sump of the dt. If I am understanding this correctly...you are back at square 1. If there was ich in the dt, you have to get all of the fish out, and in a qt. If one fish in your dt has ich...they all do. 1 week would not have killed off the ich on the 1 fish anyhow, so you have not lost anything really besides the week. I would get the sand out of the qt, and make sure the tank is cycled. When this is done put all of the fish in. There is no benefit of putting that fish in the sump of the DT...might as well be in the tank with the others at this point.
Yes, when I put the pb tang in the dt, the flame starting pestering the pb tang to the point that pb tang was getting stressed and starting to get ich. I immediately, caught pb tang and put him in the qt tank. all levels at that time was great in the qt tank. I had to bring up the ph while lowering the sp grav. and salinity from 28 to 14. There is no sign of ich in the display on any of my fish, thank god. PB tang has just a few spots on his fins now, I live away on the weekdays so I cant tinker with my qt tank till next week, should i keep PB tang in the sump/fug?
It doesn't matter really...all of your fish now have ich. Even if you can't see it...it is there. I will bet you money if you put that tang into qt...rid of the ich..., then put it back into the DT with all the fish you didn't take out...it will end right back up with ich. Beth has a sticky on the life cycle of ich...you should give that a read.
Appreciate any comments or suggestions

al mc

Thanks for the link 'US'. Spnohio, 'US' is correct in that if your PB does have Ich and was in your DT or DT sump, then you have to presume that all your fish now have been exposed. If you just treat the PB I fear that each time you put him back into the DT and he gets 'stressed' he will show signs of it again.
The PB, depending on his size and the size of your sump, can live there until he outgrows the environment.
If all the fish now 'appear' to be healthy and eating, and you can afford to set up a QT and cycle it I would do so. Once cycled, then consider treating all the fish with hyposalinity or cupramine (copper) and leaving the DT fallow for at least 3 (better 6) weeks.
What do you have in the DT and sump now fish and invert wise?

spnohio

75 gal, 75 lb lr, several crabs, snails, fire shrimp, orange spotted goby, royal gramma, flame angel and a scopas tang. i have a predrilled tank, protein skimmer, sump/fuge-caulpera with with uv sterilizer for the return. the flame was giving the pb tang fits, hence the ich.
So i should remove all my live sand from the qt tank, it had cycled long ago, when i used it and then i upgraded to my 75 gal. once i remove all the sand, will it cycle again?