Betta??

youngladie

How long is the average bettas life? Is there a specific type of betta I should get? What would be ok with a betta in a 50 gallon tank. Should I get its own bowl. Can it be with another betta? If so a male or female?
Thanks,
FishhyLover

reefman22

do they have saltwater bettas? and no you shouldnt have 2 bettas in one tank/bowl. thats all the input i have. sorry

nomad

The Marine Betta or Comet Grouper (Calloplesiops altivelis) grows up to 6" and eats any fish that will fit in its mouth. It is a cave dweller, so make sure you have a nice cave for it to hide in. It will not harm any corals.

dogstar

Probly both, but I only know about saltwater fish.
You should try to find a freshwater fish site to post about your fighting betta. I hate seeing those beutifull male bettas in those little bowls so if you can put it in a bigger tank Im sure it would be happier. I think you can have one male and a few female bettas together and maybe with fish like FW anglefish and tettras and goldfish but not oscors or chiclids. not relly sure.

ophiura

Unfortunately, this is not a freshwater board. If you do a search on google for betta I am sure you will find several freshwater boards that cover them.
But some general rules:
Two males can not be put together...especially not in a bowl. They will fight basically to death.
Betta may not be the best choice for larger tanks. With those fins, they are not strong swimmers and can be overwhelmed by strong currents from filters. They may also chase and nip at other fish, especially those with fancy fins (eg guppies). Alternatively, they may be picked on by nippy fish such as some tetras and barbs.
A 1-2g or so bowl/tank with some plants is one of the best set ups for betta.
I do not recommend putting a male and a female together.
If you want multiple betta you can try several females but the females are no where near as attractive as the males.
Betta are air breathing fish, so they must have access to the surface. So don't put them in a betta vase with plants obstructing the surface.
Bettas are not vegetarians and do not just eat off roots and plants! They have special betta food available.
On average I believe they live 2-3 years.

sankysyuck

First of all, this is a saltwater forum so you usually won't get much help here. However I do happen to know a lot about freshwater bettas. They definitely do not require a tank 50 gallons, putting a single betta in a tank that large would be, a waste and if I don't say so myself, a very boring tank. The most common species of the betta fish (much less colorful but still the same) live in shallow puddles in Vietnam. These fish do not require large tanks, anywhere from 1/2 gallon to 5 gallons, I wouldn't go any higher than that, it would just be a waste, unless you've got a real thing for this betta. All the bettas you see in those little bowls at fish stores are males and they're kept individually for a reason, they fight to the death with in the same tank. You can get more than one per tank if you get a specific bowl or tank that has a divider between them. The only females that you see are in larger tanks and can be kept together peacefully but require warmer, larger, and better water conditions than a male, they are also considerably smaller than males. Bettas do not require a heater they can survive just fine at room temperature water. For the novice aquarist I would recommend buying distilled water, I'd also recommend using a betta water conditioner. Bettas can be fed many types of foods, they're not at all picky, small floating pellet is just fine. Bettas also have a habit or making this bubbly, white, foamy stuff at the surface of the water, this is so because they are trying to make a breeding nest, however, because most bettas are not included with females, this white foam just makes the tank look gross looking and will require frequent water changes. The beginning aquarist may be able to keep there bettas for (if there lucky) 2 - 3 years, BUT with proper care, they can live for much longer than that.
I hope this was helpful because it took me a VERY LONG TIME to write lol Anyways glad to help out! :joy: