Better Living Through Automation..ATO

squidd

Gee..I kind of thought I explained it in "this" thread...:D
First pic s of blue "drip jug" used for Kalkwasser but also usefull for ATO..just need to get "drip" rate to match..
Second pic is of 5gallons and Kent float valve...a little "longer" lasting...
Then I get into "constant feed" from RO filter...

P

pas13

Sorry for the confusion, Squidd. I thought the blue jug was set up with a float valve that would shut it off completely. I didn't realize that it was a drip line. My bad.

leona

Originally posted by Squidd
Gee..I kind of thought I explained it in "this" thread...:D
First pic s of blue "drip jug" used for Kalkwasser but also usefull for ATO..just need to get "drip" rate to match..
Second pic is of 5gallons and Kent float valve...a little "longer" lasting...
Then I get into "constant feed" from RO filter...

Hey squidd,
Could you explain these for me in "leona" terms.
Thanks.
I understand the Kalkwasser. Is the 5g bucket for one tank and the constant feed from the RO goes to your other tank?
What is your water loss daily on your 210?

squidd

Leona... For someone with an 18 page thread, I'd think you'd be used to going back and re-reading for the details...

.My 210 FOWLR + 65 sump/fuge evaporates about 2-3 gallons a day...
My 54 Corner Reef + 65 sump/fuge evaps 2 gallons a day...

My "big fear/concern" with the "valve" is that if it stuck open it could flood the sump and lower the salinity...
So I ran it off the bucket for a few weeks noting that if it did stick the extra 5 gallons would not flood or change salinity to a drastic level...
I am fairly confident now that in a sump installation (no snails to jam the valve) and fresh water top off (no kalk or salt creep to clog valve) that the valve will work as designed...
So I ran "supply line(s)" off my RO filter to feed my 210 sump, my NSW mixing tub, and the 54 sump... (with float valve on each...)

squidd

Kinkfish...It's just 1/4" plastic water line ran throughout the basement from the RO/DI filter output to the various "tanks" mentioned above...
However I do have a pressure sensitive "shutoff" valve to shut the RO waste down when there is no call for top off water...

leona

Originally posted by Squidd
Leona... For someone with an 18 page thread, I'd think you'd be used to going back and re-reading for the details...

Forgive me?
You know what it is. I'm a fast reader(skimmer) and I pass up the important stuff.
I will slowwwww down and re-read it again.

squidd

MPLS Man..Kent sells it as part of their floatvalve auto shut off kit...(as pictured above) ...and can be added to most any RO system...

squidd

Yes, at this point the RO/DiI is direct lined to the K reactor and then feeding the return chamber with a float valve...
Been what 8 months now, and I have NOT had any of the "sticking, jambing, flooding" issues I've been warned about...
For a little while was getting a "surface" build up of caco3 in the return pump chamber, but a "pinhole" in the return line directed at the surface to break "tension" and promote gaseous exchange has has kept Kalk in suspension prevented any further build up...
Too bad all the pics are gone from this thread... :mad:
Heres one of my "pumpless" K reactor during testing stages...now filled with 4"-5" of Kalk powder on bottom..

balistik1

Well here is what I was wanting to do. I currently use Kalk as my top-off using a drip method. I would like to automate this which is what I thought you did then I saw that device. Mybe what I want to do is a little simpler.

squidd

Kinda like this...a big old tub of Kalkwasser and a float valve... :yes:
(one of the "missing" pics from the above thread...)

balistik1

Ok, maybe i just bought the wrong thing.
I bought what is called a float switch.
I got the info from Melvsreeef.

squidd

A float "Switch" is an option as well, now you just need a pump for it to turn on...
Sometimes "Ol' Mel" likes to do things the hard way... :yes:

balistik1

I guess with you way I would have to have the bucket above the water line for gravity feeding. With a pump I dont so now I could have a larger bucket of kalk.

squidd

Yep that's a drawaback of the "gravity/bucket" method...
That's why I went to the K reactor and RO/DI direct feed...now there's no buckets, no pumps and once every three months replenish the Kalk powder...