bi-color blenny

julie

My bi-color blenny, when I turned on the lights on the tank, this morning, seemed spoltchy(sp?), is this a skin disease or the effects of the lights, I haven't noticed it before. ??? I have a 200 gallon tank.

fmarini

Hi:
What is splotchy?
Do you mean that it has color pattern differences, or that its has something on its skin ?
frank

julie

It does not have specks of salt. It is not ick. When I say splotchy, some areas on its body look almost white.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Julie: Be more specific. What areas on the body are effected? Is the skin actually discolored as if faded, or does there appear to be mucous forming on the skin surface. Is the discoloration white or greyish-white? Is it cottony? Is there anything else wrong with the fish that you can see? How is the fish's breathing? Swiming? Overall behavior? Are any other fish in the tank having problems. What are your water readings? How long have you had the fish?

julie

The skin color is faded on the sides. No pertruding areas. The breathing and activity is fine.

kartrax

Did the color return after the lights were on for a while? It is normal for fish to change color when the lights are out. The color returns after the fish wake up.

Julie,
I have noticed on my bi-colored blenny there are spots similar to your post. The show up when it is in a dark area. This is just around the head. When in full light it changes color from blue and white to blueish orange. I also had it in a QT and noticed it there for awhile. Most likely it's the color of the fish. Hope I was a help. Matt