Bi-Colour Blenny Hunters?

dale-fish

I just added a bi-colour blenny, 4 red scarlet hermits, 3 electric orange hermits and some various snails. Some of the hermits are getting ripped apart. First it was an electric orange I found scattered across the bottom of my tank and now a red scarlet. The other two fish in my tank are False Perc clownfish and I'm pretty sure its not them. At feeding time my Bi-colour doesn't do a very good job of snatching the food so I'm thinking he is still hungry. Anyways do you guys think it is the Bi-Colour who is eating these hermits and if so is this normal? Is there anyway to curve this behaviour? Thanks!

wax32

Welcome to the boards!
Bi-color blennies are herbivorous, so no. They take a long time to start to eat pellets/flakes... they mainly eat microalgae from your rocks. Once you get them eating they are hardy, but many starve in the first few weeks before figuring out how to eat the food you offer them if you don't have a lot of green on your rocks.
Sure it isn't crab molts you are seeing? They shed when they grow. Electric Orange hermits have a tough time acclimating for some reason. It is possible they just plain died and then fell apart and/or were chewed up by the percs.

dale-fish

Ok thank,
Yea perhaps its molting, how often due scarlet hermits molt? Also how do you tell if its a molt, if i took it out of my tank and analysed it would I be able to tell? I dont think he just died and fell apart because I keep a good eye on my tank and I noticed this within 12 hours. But I guess my percs could have picked at him.
Oh the mysteries of my tank!

promisetbg

If it were an entire hermit...you would see the coiled end of him.Molts look like the front portion..and then it looks as though it is ripped just beyond the legs.

wangotango

i have a bicolor blenny in my tank and he doesnt bother anything. he doesnt go after food when i feed the other fish, and most of the time he hides and only goes out occasionally to pick at the rock. i agree with everyone else about the crab deaths.