bicolor angel cloudy eye and frayed fins

dgott2000

I have a 55g marine tank with a small spiny boxfish and a medium bicolor angel. One of the angel's eyes is swollen and cloudy and I noticed his fins are fraying. I asked at my LFS and was told it was a fungal infection and Myacin should be used. I put the first dose in yesterday and when I woke up this morning one of his fins was nearly frayed off. He is having trouble swimming and can only see out of one eye. Perhaps it gets worse before it gets better, but I really can't stand to watch him suffer. He has been eating dried seaweed and live brine shrimp normally, but he seems to be very distressed. Any help would be VERY appreciated!
pH=8.0
ammonia=0.00
nitrite=0.00
nitrate= 10.00ppm
spec gravity= 1.023
Note: After I checked the chemicals, I did a 6g water change to try to reduce the nitrates and get rid of anything else undesirable that may be in there.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You really should not treat fish in your display if that is what you are doing.
The fish has a bacterial infection, not a fungal infection. Can you set up a QT?? Take a look at the FAQ Thread at the top of this forum for info on QT setup. That is really the only viable option.
If you decide to setup a QT, use Maracyn Two for Saltwaterfish.

dgott2000

thanks! I've havent been able to catch him because of the live rock that he likes to hide around but I'll get a second net and set up a QT asap