bicolor angel question

jstrong

i just got a bicolor angel about a week ago, it now has a white spot above its eye, should i be concerned. i used to have a grouper and he rubbed on the rocks and rubbed white spots on his head. could this be the same? still very new to the hobby. thanks

jstrong

i have also just noticed that my blue hippo has little white spots on his sides. he is doing alot of rubbing on the rocks(looks like to get it off). help please!!

gatorcsm

Sounds like ich. Start feeding it food soaked in garlic juice/extract. Don't put in the garlic pieces if you make an extract. You can also buy one by kent and other marine product manufacturers. Another great product, IMO, is zoe and zoecon.
If they can't fight it off on their own, and it gets worse, you will most likely need to perform hyposalinity. Another alternative is copper, but most people try to refrain from chemicals. For info on hypo, do a search, there are tons of threads with the procedure.

flamehawk

How long has the tank been up and running?
First thing I would strongly advocate is that you always quarentine new purchases. Especially if you have tangs in the tank who are ick magnets. Secondly you will not be able to use hypo method in your tank because l/r, l/s and inverts will not survive. I have never used garlic to cure ick, so can't comment on that. Did read a recent article on this treatment which concluded that the jury is still out.
What to do... I would probably remove the 2 fish into a hospital tank immediately and gradually bring the salinity to 1.009. They will nedd to remain in the tank for about 3-4 weeks or so with no signs of the desease. If all the fish end up getting it , they all must be removed form the tank. Sorry but please consider using a Q tank in the future.

jstrong

the tank has been up for about 4 months now. i setup a hospital tank and trying the hypo thing. thanks