Bicycling

shogun323

I know there has got to be a few bicyclists out here. I am looking to get a decent mountain bike to take advantage of the great trails around my house as well as for excercise. What is a decent affordable bike? I will likely be getting one off of craigslist and I am not looking to spend more than a few hundred.
Please advise.

tne1cancme

I bought my son a Giant Iguana about a year ago. It had the best combination of frame material and components I have ever seen for a economy MB.
I have owned a few higher end MBs, A full suspension Gt 3000, a Trek Y , and a Giant full suspension( can't remember the model, it was their first horst link).
All cost in excess of 1.5k. and this Iguana can hold it's own with any of them for only $500 bucks.
My son is a former BMXer and is pretty hard on a bike, but the Iguana is weathering it all.

rudedog40

I like the GT I-Drive series. You might be able to find a 2001 - 2002 model I-Drive 3.0 or 5.0 pretty cheap on E site. If you can, try and find a full suspension model. They handle the hard stuff and rocks a lot better than the soft tails. You can always find a reasonably priced bike and upgrade the components as you get more into the sport. The three major components you want to upgrade are the brakes, rear derailler, and the front fork. You want to be able to stop fast, shift with ease, and handle jumps and bounces without getting beat up. It's an addictive sport to get into. You get good exercise, and depending where you live, some awesome scenery to go with it. Have fun and be careful.

tne1cancme

Great Choice!
Have fun and be safe.
Remember, If you have a ten dollar head wear a ten dollar helmet, so if you don't wear a helmet what does that say about you?

Seriously, invest in a good helmet.
and a good set of bike shorts will save your tail.
Tim
P.s. Please tell me you didn't buy the WSD. LOL jjk