Big black slug thingie..

suver569

My wife noticed this, well, thing in our tank the other night, and I said she was crazy, but I saw it this morning. Now, as for a picture, we got some but they are useless because it's just a black blob.
It was about the size of a half dollar, roundish in shape, and when it was moving, more of an oval shape. It was jet black, almost a shiny black, with about 3 or 4 tiny white specks on it's backside. It resembled a nassarius snail in shape, but without a shell. It has 2 tenticles near it's head. Any ideas?

IMO . . . Bad, but its hard to tell because all species are different. I have one that was also a hitchiker that eats any snail that I put in my tank.
Word of advise, don't try to remove it by grabbing it. It will shred and then each piece will form a whole new one. I have yet to figure out a good method of removal.

on a surface level that would be a good idea . . . these things shred easier than tissue paper . . . plus, it would have to be entirely out in the open.
In other words . . . been there done that and am back empty handed . . . .

T

thomas712

Well all I can say is if you don't like this critter, then call it BB_BS.

jja

I agree with csrobe02. I have several black stomatella snails in my refugium and when i first saw them they just looked like slugs.

R

randy 12

Couldn't it possibly be a fleshy limpet? They are roundish and black too. Just a thought. They look almost like the picture posted above but they are more round than oblong like the photo.

suver569

Here is the best pic we can get of it. It'll only come out in the dark, so we have to be quick when we turn the lights on.

tigerpiper

That is what I think Death would look like if incarnated as a sea organism. I'm really creeped out right now.
On the other hand, how delightfully diverse reef sea life is.

R

randy 12

Try touching him on his back with something. If the mantle parts and shows a white shell underneath, then it's a fleshy limpet. I swear it looks exactly like ours. And ours is a fleshy limpet. The bolool is generally longer than the fleshy limpet.