Big Fish Oder + New Tank

adamm

Hey Guys, I'm seting up my 55g for saltwater and will soon be cycling. I have a DSB with a very small amount of LS from an established tank. I just ordered 20-25 pounds of LR and I'll be putting a few damsels and cocktail shrimp in.....then letting the tank fully cycle.....and finally waiting another few weeks.
My problem is I would like to order all of my livestock from swf at the same time to cut down on cost. So would it be possible to switch out the damsels and cocktail shrimp for all of my new livestock at the same time? I'm looking at the following...
10 Turbo/Astrea Snail
1 Chocolate Chip Star
5 Nassarius Snail
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
10 Blueleg Hermits
1 Royal Gramma
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 Coral Beauty Angel
Thank you so much for any advice you can give me.

wax32

Adding a bunch of animals at once isn't really suggested. In a new tank you need to add slowly so your beneficial bacteria can keep up and you don't wind up putting your fish to death.

scoobydoo

I think you'd be okay with your clean up crew and ONE fish. I wouldn't do a star for about 6 months. Good luck and welcome to the hobby.

mbrands

Adamm - Just noticed you are from Phoenix too. Welcome to the boards! :D
Are you planning to ever keep any corals? If so, cut out the cc star. I had to take mine out of the tank when I upgraded my lights.

dmc888

Instead of using damsels and a shrimp for cycling.
I would use 3-5 raw shrimps.
Most damsels are not a good fish to have.
And many people end up getting rid of them.
Also it may kill the fish.
I heard cb shrimps can be aggressive.

mbrands

Originally posted by dmc888

I skimmed through your original post too quickly. I agree with dmc888 on all of the above.

adamm

Wow, you guys are awesome. Thank you for all of your replys!!!
wax32: Ya, thats what I figured. I'm not in a rush or anything, it was really more of a cost issue, trying to save a little cash.
scoobydoo:No CC star at first? Do they just do better in established aquariums?
mbrands: Awesome! I actually live in Gilbert, but I work in Phoenix. Good to see a local memeber on the boards!!!
dmc88: Sorry for the confusion, I actually meant raw shrimp from the grocery store. So no damsels? thats even better!!!

adamm

I'm wondering something else....if I increased the amount of shrimp, wouldn't the beneficial bacteria also increase, therefore strengthening my bio filtration, therefore increasing the number of fish I can safely put in after I remove the raw shrimp?
Also, does the raw shrimp make the tank smell? No big deal, just curious.
Thanks again!!!

mbrands

I used 3 raw shrimp for my 55. I wouldn't bother with using more. I didn't really notice a foul smell, but other might have had different experiences. My tank is in our den, so we don't have to sleep with the smell/noise or anything.
When you are ready to start buying, check out About the Reef on the southwest corner of 101 and the 202. Their fish always look very healthy. The usually run sales on weekend . . . 35% off fish and 20% off corals this weekend. Also, I've never felt like they were trying to sell me something to make a buck.

adamm

So you don't think that adding more shrimp would increase the beneficial bacteria?
Thanks for the tip mbrands, I've never heard of that place, I'll definatelly check it out this week. I've been to Ocean Art Aquariums on Ray road, Oceans Floor on Thomas, and I'm always at Pets Inc. on Mill.
Nice avatar btw, I had a 16 year old golden that recentlly passed away, she was an awesome dog.

adamm

Also...what does everybody think about my stocking plans? The final list is something like this.....
10 Turbo/Astrea Snail
1 Chocolate Chip Star
5 Nassarius Snail
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
10 Blueleg Hermits
1 Royal Gramma
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 Coral Beauty Angel
1 Six Line Wrasse
Any Suggestions or potential problems here? I like active, colorful, interesting behavior, and always being out in the open (don't we all:yes: ).

mbrands

I've heard the same about CB shrimp. Also, keep in mind that cc stars are cool, but not reef safe.

adamm

Originally posted by mbrands
I've heard the same about CB shrimp. Also, keep in mind that cc stars are cool, but not reef safe.

Oh okay, any suggestions on another cool looking shrimp?

dedwards

Be sure to get plenty of empty shells, 20-30 shells, for the Hermits to grow into. These guys can grow quite fast. I have had mine since Nov and they are already in Turbo snail sized shells. And if they don't have shells to grow into they may kill off your snails for their shells. The CC Star is sensitive to water changes and with a new tank the balance can easily shift. As your tank gets more established, the tank will become more stable as well as your habits of feeding and testing. I can't offer up any suggestions on the shrimp. I have never been able to keep one past acclimation.

rubberduck

very true :yes: and welcome :yes:

adamm

Okay cool, I'll probablly go with a cleaner shrimp instead of a CB and I'll hold off on the CC star. Any other potential problems or recomendations?
Does anybody have any other opinions on my shrimp idea?

dmc888

I have had my cleaner for a year.
He has grown alot since i first got him.
Cleaners will clean just about anything.
My cleaner cleans my hand and even cleans my new lta.
Even though it hurts him.
He is kinda crazy.
Also he eats alot, probably more than any of my fish.
He likes krill mostly, but anything meaty he will not turn down.
Cleaners tend to clean larger fish such as angels and tangs, they try to clean the smaller ones but most are afraid of the shrimp.
He even follows them around with no luck.
He loved to clean my cb angel when i had it.
They seemed happy interacting with eachother.