BIG LIPS ON Racoon Butterfly

wade163

ok gang...I took thsi from an email that I sent out to a buddy of mine...about 30 min ago or so... take a look...
quick question about what could be going on. I have the raccoon butterfly, and his mouth is swelling up. Its looks like a cold sore, its red around his lips and it LOOKS LIKE its getting bigger. I didnt realize it until I was looking for him during feeding time. He has been hiding under an arch now for a few hours now/ maybe a day now. Last weekend I got some green chromis 4 of them, and 2 died because they fought...first the little one, and then the bigger one. Must had been from fighting. I let it go, then the yellow tang was turning red in the back. Someone had mentioned that it could be the ammonia in the water and its too high. So I did a water change about 25 percent, and am doing one now as we speak. I am in the process of setting up a quarantine tank or should I or should I even be concerned. Could you let me know what I should do?

nicetry

It would really help to know the water parameters. Butterflies are prone to bacterial infections around their mouths. The redness on the tang could also indicate this, however low pH or ammonia might also be the cause. Post all of the parameters to see if something can be corected. A quarantine tank should be set-up as you'll likely need to treat these fish soon.

wade163

alright will do...I just do my 2nd water change, and will be doing some testing later this evening. the yellow tang looks WAY better and is behaving like himself again. Almost 10 seconds after my water change, the raccoon was out and about swimming around....thanks for the info!