Big or Small?

jacklax

When choosing a fish...especially an angel or a butterfly...which do you prefer? A big or small one? I can see the advantages to both. A small/young one is not as set in it's ways, thus making it's adapting to food & captivity much easier. The larger/older fish are more established making them hardier. I welcome all opinions. Thanks!

happyvac

The larger/older fish are more established making them hardier.
This isn't always true. A lot of fish are caught and shipped this way; comparitively few actually grow in captivity.
In generally I'd always opt for a smaller one, since you'll have them longer and you'll get to see them grow.

happyvac

Well, it's mostly opinion.
Big looks great when you put it in. There's no waiting period whatsoever, and you don't have to wait for the fish to grow while your tank looks empty.
Of course, bigger fish=more expensive fish.

happyvac

If anything, I'd think the younger one would have a better chance, since it could probably "adapt" easier, as you said.

jacklax

That's what I'm hoping...just looking for a bunch of opinions. I had a Copperbanded Butterfly at one point...knowing how difficult they can be, I'm try to develop a strategy to use when I get another. I figure that getting a younger one would be a good start.

promisetbg

Younger fish of some species do fare better at adapting to life in a tank. Buy aquacultured whenever posible, they adapt the best since it is all they have ever known.

misfit

Smaller and younger is the way to go,you also get the experience of watching them grow and some fish even chage their colors and markings as they get older which is also cool to see.

S

surfinusa

i always like getting small fish so they can adapt and when big ones are caught they only really know how to feed in the wild but when you get a small one you can watch it grow and it can be used to food we feed to the

nofish4u!!

I like the small ones. Buy them all small, they grow together... not to mention it is a lot easier on the wallet! Besides, like kittens, they are cuter when they are young!

travis89

I always get the smaller ones so I can watch them grow and they are easier on the wallet. Also the smaller they are the easier it is to add other fish later.

S

surfinusa

Originally Posted by reeferdawg
that's what she said

i know