big problem

guineawhop

i had a tank completely set up for an asfur angel. it is a mature tank that has nearly perfect water and then i went away on vacation and the tube from the fluval 404 that dumps teh water back in fell out and dumped all but like 20 gallons of water out of the tank. the asfur is still in my qt tank. i filled the tank back up and got the salinity back to normal and added 10 pounds of live sand on top of the live said i already have lining the bottom. my question is do you think if i let the water cycle for 2-3 weeks it'd be ok to put the asfur into the tank. there is nothing in the tank except a blue damsel. the tank is a 100 gallon.

cubfan

I don't know anything about asfur angels, but from a tank perspective, it sounds like you're back at square one. Losing 80% of your water volume is quite a loss! I would think you would have to cycle for at least a week before adding the angel. That's just my opinion and I don't know if asfur angels have specific requirements. Good luck.

liontamer

You should really invest in clamps...them clmaps can really help u hold yer tubes together and stuff like that. How was the damage? Happened to me once...cept not 80 gallons of water, wow.

scubadoo

It all depends on if your substrate and live rock (assuming you have some in the tank) remained in water with a source of oxygen. If you had power heads running beneath/breaking the surface. Your bilogical filter lives on surfaces and filter media..... Did you have an oxygen source still pumping when you returned?

guineawhop

the damage actually wasn't bad in my apartment cause it leaked to the downstairs apartment. i really don't know how much damage was done down there though and i kinda don't want to find out. if they don't say nething i'm not gonna either.i got rid of the fluval and put 2 emperors on it instead. less hastle. i don't believe that i had any oxygen going in the tank. i don't even know how long it was like that. the friend that was taking care of my fish said it was full saturday night and when i got home sunday night it was pretty much empty so it was less than 24 hours i would imagine and i have one piece of live rock in there cause i had to kill a big piece a little while ago cause a mantis shrimp was inside so i bleached the rock. and now i don't have much live rock at all like 4 pounds max. but i got about 100 pounds of live sand