Big Problem

kiriokool

I have a ten gal and it is leaking how can i change tanks without stressing out my fish. Aslo do i have to buy new sand so that i can transfer the fish with no broblem I REALLY NEED HELP WHAT SHOULD I DO

jumpfrog

If you remove about half of your water from the 10 gallon and save the water you should be able to move the tank to another surface. I've moved my office 10 gallon several times that way.
Then you could put your saved water back in, place the new 10 on your stand and prepare it to transfer over your rock, animals etc.
Good Luck!

rainfishy

Use the old sand and rock. But your livestock in a temperary tupperware, transfer sand and rock and water then livestock. Watch water carefully after that as you may have small spike. (old LR and LS has all your good bacteria, you want this in your new tank :)

jumpfrog

My concern would be about the spike incurred after moving that old live sand in one batch. A small portion of the sand would help to prepare the new tank. A spike in a big tank is one thing, I'd just be concerned about a large spike in a 10 gallon. But as said, if watched carefully it could be done.

kiriokool

My old tank is leaking and so i have to get a new one. Am i better off just buying new sand then draining half the water and putting my LR into the new tank with the new sand, then slowly add my some old water and finally add the fish?

jumpfrog

If the leak is that bad then that would be my recommendation. Starting with fresh sand and seeding a little from your old tank and adding your already cured live rock should minimize cycling compared to stirring up all of your old sand. I'd remove most of my water before I start moving anything to minimize putting detritus in the water.
1. new tank and new sand
2. drain as much water from old as possible
3. add about a cup of old sand to new tank
4. move live rock
5. add old water
6. add fish.
Good luck!

kiriokool

Thank you very much but i have one question where do i need to put my fish while i take out the water shout i leave them in the tank when i am draining half the water put them in the new tank and add rest of water. Also hoe long until i add my fish to the new tank

jumpfrog

You probably will need to mix up a few gallons to fill up your new tank. I would let your new water settle for about 24 hours before adding it. It won't hurt your new tank to run at less than full. Even if three quarters full or the minimum to let your filter run would be fine. So, once you're down to a couple of inches of water for the fish to stay in until you move your cup of ls and lr over they should be ok. We're talking only a matter of a few minutes here.
Another option would be to catch the fish once you have about half your water out and place them in the water while you're moving the rest. I'd say why stress the fish twice for the move if you really don't have to.
Let us know how it works out for you.