big vs small

agarr

My family is buying a new tank for my birthday,if you had a 50gal and a 150 which one would be better for fish and which for reef? My son got bitten by the SW bug and is asking all kinds of questions...the lighting for my 50 gal tank is $217 dollars......but even the big tank comes with cheap lights
the lights cost almost as much as the large tank and more than the small tank...my birds have full spectrum lighting...in the same room...does it help? anyone know alot about lighting?BTW everyone Thanks for your previous help..my fish and water are great and all levels are perfect every day!!!:D

agarr

i already own the 50. the 150 is the new one,and as big as we can fit in our house.the 50 currently has sw fish and a live rock in it.

mudplayerx

You will love the 150 gallon. I help take care of a 400+ gallon at school and everytime I come home to my 55 gallon I die a little inside.

taz_12777

Bigger is always better. Your options will be alot larger for what will fit in the 150 compared to a smaller one.

murph145

i would say go for the bigger one too i have a 100 and want a bigger one so i can put more things in it safely

agarr

i want the bigger tank;i will keep both;My question was: which one would do better as a reef tank...but now i am thinking maybe the smaller ne as i want to put a puffer fish in the big tank;not really;my son wants to put a puffer(rather large yellow)in the tank and they told him my tank was too small. This is why my children are going together and getting a big tank for my birthday...

55galgill

aggar, the bigger the better:happy: water will be more stable and such on small tanks i beleive that things can happen alittle quicker i.e nitrate swings and such. plus your fish will be alot happier. corals will be happier too i think cuz the water will be more stable. you just got to make sure your lighing is good.
good luck with it! im getting a 180 soon for my spoiled hippo lol
~Gill~

snipe

The bigger the Better as said. I would get the 150 and hook the 55 up as a sump or fuge. So you would actually have a 205 gallon tank in your house.

snipe

Basically you put the tank down there with sand and rocks or what ever. Then you buy an overflow "around $60" to drain water to the 55 gallon. Then you buy a big enough pump to push the water back up to the main tank. And that is basically it. You get to place all your heaters and filters and skimmers down there so there out of the way and not in or on your main tank.

55galgill

agarr i think you should empty out your living room setup all the tanks and charge admission to all your kids friends that come over :D it would be a great way to support your saltwater habit:jumping:
:happyfish

agarr

do i HAVE to use that big of a tank? we have 2 -10's 1-15 1-39 and a 50(not all are mine some belong to kids and some are at our office...but i payed for all of them. That means in essence that i could use any of them...hate to use our 50 as a refuge tank

agarr

roflmao
as i said not all of these are mine,i could maybe use a 10 gal tank? The thought of using a $129.00 tank repulses me :hilarious

snipe

I see it all the time. I have seen like 200 gallon tanks with a 50 gallon Fuge and a 50 gallon sump!