Bigger tank w/out reinforcing floors

thangbom

agin it depends on where the tank is placed. i mean.. as long as it's on a 'bearing' ( Nthink that how you spell it) wall.. as in a wall with support beam under it and not in th emiddle of the room

superh

It's very hard to give a good answer to questions like this without details because each situation is very unique. If we ignore trying to figure out what the structural components of the floor and their dimensions are, it would be reasonable to assume it's designed for between a 50 to 80 psf live load that is factored up by some value probably around 2. I'd have someone confirm what your situation is to be sure though with a 300g tank.
On the other hand, if it's going on a concrete slab I think you'll be alright.

fixed

If you have access underneath to reinforce, I can't think of any reason not to. It's not expensive and not difficult.
OTOH, I have thought about a form of reinforcement above the floor. What if you were to build a platform with a lot of 2x4s on end with a sheet or two of good plywood over and under them, with dimensions larger than the tank? It could distribute the load over a larger area. Just a thought.