Biggest Tank

patrick8929

So my dream for when i own a home one day is to have a massive take in the basement, (thousands of gallons). i wanna know if anyone has one already? if not who has a missive tank? 500+ gallons...

snakeblitz33

The average large tank size people keep is 400 - 500g, from what I have found on other forums. There is one guy on RC that has a 1600+g display tank by the name of Energy (I think) His system incorporates a volcano skimmer - but volcano is no longer being made. There's also a guy on a few different forums who has/had a 1500g system... and then upgraded to a 20,000g reef tank. I know of another guy who built a 100,000g tank in an out-building. They are out there, but a lot of people with that size tank don't like to show it off all over the internet. I know of a few people down in New Orleans that have some really huge tanks as well.

btldreef

It's not common. We looked at doing a larger tank in our new house, but just the cost of equipment was too much for us to go any further with the idea.

snakeblitz33

You're right, BTLD, it's not very common to see very large tanks, especially in this economy at the moment.
I've had tanks up to 240g, and I've taken care of tanks all the way up to 280g. Personally, I enjoy smaller tanks, 125g or less. They are easier to reach all the spots, they are easier for water quality control, they are easier to clean algae off the entire glass. They are cost efficient, depending on your equipment - and they are easier to buy equipment for. It's also better to have a good looking tank filled with lots of corals that are growing out well into colonies than to have the same amount of coral in a larger tank that doesn't look full at all. Larger tanks take a whole lot longer to grow out - and the cost of keeping Ca and alk and magnesium up can be intimidating.

patrick8929

yea i honestly wasnt even really thinkiong about the cost of all of the water and everything else involved. im sure there are some very wealthy people out there will big a#% tanks in their house. guess i need to just go to the aquarium thats a couple hours a way lol