BigMac/Richard Rendos MH Question

cmpowell

I'm trying to get MH lighting for my 125 6'.It will be a retro system consisting of (here is where i need help)3 250watt or dual 400.I'm not sure if the dual 400 will light the 6" length enough and what bulbs would you recommend for either or what ever suggestion you might have. i'm also trying to keep the retro system cost as minimal as i can but still be quality.I still have to build a hood.Keep in mind i'm trying to stay away from a chiller. Thanks:D

mlm

If you only go with 2 lights (even if they are 400 watts) you will not get full coverage of a 6 foot tank. As far as a chiller goes I have 2 400 watt MH on my 120 and I definitly needed a chiller or I could not light the tanh for more than 3 hours. If you are not really think about sps or clams then the 250s will be fine for you. But if you are seriously considering sps/clams I would go for the 400s.

richard rendos

for that length tank, i would say that you are gonna need at least 3 bulbs. are you gonna have actinic supplements? if not, get the 250 watt 10000K aqualine bushke or ushio bulbs. if you will have actinics, you could get the Iwasaki 6500K's. the Iwasaki's are fairly yellow, but corals (esp. SPS) growth rates are tremendous under these bulbs. coral colors are better under the 10K's.

cmpowell

Ok.I think i read here about the hood if i build it 12" tall add some 4" fans may be 3 or 4 and then 1 VHO supplement would this help the heat issue.Thanks very much. :cool: